The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7530 & Precision 7730 owner's thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Back in the office. Docks still haven't shipped. Dell has order delivery estimate at August 28.

I get the long delay for a new system build but I don't understand it for a dock unless they are having supply issues. We got out TB18DC docks immediately (weeks before the 7530's arrived even though they were ordered at the same time).

jeremyshaw likes this.
  2. Div033

Div033 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You're using HWINFO to determine power draw, right? Looking at the battery stats?

3. cme685

cme685 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm getting the 7730 from outlet delivered tomorrow .... can someone explain the purpose of the middle click button on the touchpad?? how is it best used?

4. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    It is the same as the middle click button on the mouse; it causes fixed scroll mode or some apps have special use for it (i.e. opening tabs when you middle-click on a link in your browser).

5. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Yep. That, and a nifty little utility that sits in the status bar, called BatteryBar.

Div033 likes this.
  6. xklis

xklis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @Ionising_Radiation
    Hi !

In this post: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...0-owners-thread.820539/page-257#post-10939770

you said the following:

"When the notebook is totally idle, I achieved an average power draw of ~6 W. With the display off, this dropped to 3-4 W"

When your notebook is idling, i suppose you can check current battery draw looking at "BatteryBar" status bar in HWINFO, right ?
    But when the display is off (how did you do that ? What steps did you take ?)
    what software did you use to record activities ?
    Does it let you choose to create a .txt report file right ?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  7. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    Pro-tip: you can text-highlight what everyone says, click the '+ Quote' button, then click on the orange 'Insert Quotes...' button beneath the text bar to get quotes that are auto-linked and auto-italicised, thus saving you the trouble of your first four lines, like so:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To answer your question:
    BatteryBar Pro is a separate, unrelated utility to HWiNFO. The actual website has been down for a few days now; this is an archive of the site. It gives me a small icon in the status bar, and a mouse-over pop-up, like so:
    [​IMG]

In HWiNFO, these are the stats I monitor:
    [​IMG]
    These are in the Sensors window, near the bottom of the list of sensor readings. HWiNFO also has the functionality to log these readings, and this option is in the bottom right of the Sensors window:
    [​IMG]This is how I got the data to generate the graphs and the Excel file in this post.

8. xklis

xklis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh, yes sorry my bad. You have already talked about that software, it was when you performed a battery change on your old 7530 unit.

before
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...0-owners-thread.820539/page-123#post-10808895
    and after
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...0-owners-thread.820539/page-124#post-10809817
    battery change

Thanks for your explanation and also for that tip ! :)

9. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    A few more notes:

After allowing the notebook to sleep, and after re-awakening it, the power draw actually stays at around 10–15 W when the dGPU is active, and the power draw increases to ~30 W when inactive. This only occurs after waking from sleep, and restarting the notebook fixes this behaviour.

On Arch Linux with kernel 5.2.8 and in the console tty, I am getting phenomenal battery life: at full charge, acpi reports that I have over 13 hours of use left, and right now, I’m sitting at 54%, having used the laptop the entire day without having plugged it in. This is with PowerTOP fixes applied, and not much other power tweaks. I am aware the Arch wiki has extensive documentation regarding this, but I haven’t really read through all of that yet.

microdou likes this.
  10. Aaron44126

Reputations: