The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7530 & Precision 7730 owner's thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Rokobo

Rokobo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did you dd the image? I have created many an image in Linux and never a problem. Strange case...

2. frostbytes

frostbytes Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone updated to BIOS 1.17.0 yet? Is it safe?

3. Ende4711

Ende4711 Newbie

Reputations:
    BIOS 1.17.0 is not safe! I had issues in the BIOS to get changed settings, after that the Screen is frozen and no way out except power restart. On Windows 11 I had the issue that after entering the password frozen screen again no way out except power restart. I made even a CMOS reset but without any success.
    It is buggy, I changed back 1.16.1..

Now I am back on working system, it's the 1st time that I had issues with Dell BIOS update.

4. frostbytes

frostbytes Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sorry for the hassle, but good to know.

Have you upgraded to Windows 11 on a 7530/7730? If so, how was that experience?

5. brazzmonkey

brazzmonkey Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes I did.
    Eventually I got to install windows with a dvd. So the issue was likely related to the usb key.

Now i'm stucked trying to upgrade tb18dc firmware. Upgrade utility complains about the intel thunderbolt controller driver not being installed. In the end i realise that
    intel thunderbolt controller driver provided by dell is 17.4.79.510,a12, which is not compatible with win10 20h1 and later... And my win10 is 21h1...

It's not that i don't like windows, it's windows not liking me...

6. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Seems like another user had this issue recently. You can try the Thunderbolt driver from a newer similar system (7540/7550) which might get you around this. Don't know why they would have a compatibility block like this. Internally/driver-wise there is no difference between Windows 10 versions 2004, 20H2, and 21H1.

7. Ende4711

Ende4711 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thunderbolt driver simply download it from Intel. Except Tb FW has to be used from Dell.
    Windows 11 is no major changes from Windows 10 except the new icons and they way they made user interface. it took a while until you will find the settings as used in 10. The major advantage that we could run Android Software is not yet provided so no major reason to switch… yet when not using the developer version.

8. brazzmonkey

Reputations:
    I've seen such reports for Dell XPS, too.
    @Ende4711 I've already searched for TB driver on Intel's website. All I could find was related to Intels NUC computers...
    I'll try the 7550 thunderbolt driver.

Confirmed

9. Ende4711

Ende4711 Newbie

Reputations:
  10. brazzmonkey

Reputations:
    The one I found exactly.
    It seems more recent than the one provided by Dell for Precision 7550, but I thought it was specific to NUC...
    Will try, thanks for feedback.