The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7550 & 7750 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by SlurpJug, May 30, 2020.

1. TORA1

TORA1 Newbie

Reputations:
    maybe I lost something, but on 7750 the power limit is 110W, is right?

2. TORA1

TORA1 Newbie

Reputations:
    Mr. @Dell-Mano_G , im writing from Italy (sorry for my gramma), id like buy the Area51m R2, but i need ISV card (i use Solidworks full day, and sometime id like play whit games), forgive me if I not understand but whit the area51m r2 can i add on the Sonnet Breakaway Box whit Quadro card inside? thx!!!

Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This is correct, as confirmed by Dell-Mano_G in this post (just discussed in this thread a few pages back).

The Sonnet Breakaway Box is a Thunderbolt 3 box. You should be able to use it with current Alienware and Precision systems (Quadro inside is fine).

4. Baiano42

Baiano42 Newbie

Reputations:
    Have you tried using Thermalright TFX? 14.3 W/mK?

5. NelBro78

NelBro78 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Dell-Mano_G : I understand your position, thanks anyway for your answer :)

Concerning the TB3 eGPU enclosure, is there any TB3 port in the Precision 7550 or 7750 directly connected to the CPU as for the Macbook Pro (ref: https://egpu.io/macos-pascal-drivers-gtx-1080-ti-2016-macbook-pro/) or they are all connected to the PCH (i.e. less bandwidth available for the TB3 eGPU)?

The reason for which i mentioned the Alienware Graphics Amplifier was that, according to the available benchmarks i could find, it shows higher bandwidth than common TB3 enclosures due to the dedicated connection. For expensive business grade GPUs it would be therefore a preferable property

Attached Files:

6. minimalmayhem

minimalmayhem Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In case anyone else comes across this: I was seeing micro-freezes on 7550 (i.e. whole pc would appear to lock up for up to a few seconds a few times a day) in the last week or so, after much frustration turning things on/off etc. dell community forum led me to what seems to be the culprit: the Dell support assist remediation service. By setting the service to 'manual' start rather than 'auto delayed' that seems to have fixed it entirely.
    I have no idea what that service does tbh, but whatever it was I'm happy (so far) to lose it in order to cure the weird stuttering pauses.

alaskajoel and SlurpJug like this.
  7. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Pretty sure all of the TB3 port lanes are connected to the PCH (as are all of the NVMe lanes). The dGPU inside the system has dedicated lanes connected to the CPU. I believe that you will find that basically all comparable systems (other than the MacBook) share the same architecture on this point

TB3 vs AGA has been discussed before and it doesn't look like Dell is interested in offering any eGPU options other than Thunderbolt for their business systems. AGA has some usability issues — for example, I believe it is not hotpluggable, you have to reboot the system if you want to change the GPU configuration.

8. SlurpJug

SlurpJug Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did not know that eGPU via TB3 is hotpluggable.

Given how hot the PCH runs with a simple USB-C hub, it might explode if an eGPU is connected!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  9. Homer S

Homer S Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Dell-Mano_G: Thanks for the info! Any ETA on the i9s for the 7550/7750?

Homer

Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  10. NelBro78

NelBro78 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was thinking the same.. Sadly, according to your review, there seems to be no effective cooling on the PCH of the Precision 7X50