The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7750/7550 release date?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Kyle, Feb 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dell-Mano_G

Dell-Mano_G Company Representative

Reputations:
    We have multiple suppliers such as Sharp, Samsung, AUO, and others.

2. Dell-Mano_G

Reputations:
    1. Yes we are using the same size power adapters on the 7550 & 7750 as previous generations but these are new power adapters to comply with new more stringent E-Star and EPEAT Gold requirements. By the way, all our 2020 mobile workstations will be E-Star & EPEAT Gold certified.
    2. The 7550 has a max GPU power of 80W. That is the max for that form factor. The 7550 is smaller in the X, Y, & Z dimensions than the 7540 and basically the 7550 fits inside the 7540. On the 7750 the RTX4000 & RTX5000 both running at 110W of GPU power.
    3. The preferred docks for this new generation are the WD19 family of docks, the WD19, WD19TB, & WD19DC, with the WD19DC being the preferred dock for the 7 series. The systems are backward compatible to the TB18DC but the WD19DC are the preferred docks.
    4. The 5 series and 7 series are a completely new chassis and are the smallest & thinnest mobile workstations on the market without any sacrifice to performance. You will see performance increase across the whole mobile workstation portfolio.
    5. AMD is a partner of Dell's and we will continue to offer AMD GPU in our fixed and rack workstations. For this generation of mobile workstation we made the decision to go with NVIDIA only but we continue to reevaluate with every generation and I would expect to see AMD GPU's in coming generations.
    6. You are correct in that the new GPU's in the 7x50 MWS's will not fit in prior generations. They are a new physical design. Some graphics cards like the NVIDIA Quadro T1000 & RTX3000 are shared between the 2 systems but the others are not.
    7. You have to remember it takes over a year and half to two years to design and build one of these mobile workstations. I won't speak to future products or designs but will say that we are always evaluating what components are available, or will be available, for our products and will make the best decisions at that time.
    8. At this time our panels do not support G-Sync.
    9. A few here at Dell have provided the same feedback and we are taking a look at the keyboards, again.

SlurpJug, alaskajoel, DimaV83 and 5 others like this.
  3. iieeann

iieeann Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hmm, in 7720 i so hate about no dedicated Home/End key and i have to modify 7730 keyboard to fit in 7720, and have been using it till now. So now again with PgUp/PgDn?

The Power key is so close to "-" key, so that when someone who use Numpad a lot together with "+-" key can accidentally press on the power key and sleep/shut the computer half way doing work?

I hope the keyboard dimension is the same as 7730/7740. Screw hole or support is not important, it can be modified to fit in.

4. cme685

cme685 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    select the option in Windows to "do nothing" when you hit the power button....unfortunately looks only remapping for now over those calc keys (wouldn't the 7730/7740 keyboards have a space for the pointstick?) and i think he's saying keyboard changes probably coming in the 7760 a year from now....Mario please relay the message the Dell Inspiron 17R SE 7720 keyboard is the best you guys ever made .... go revisit that design for inspiration

Speaking of that 2012 Dell model, Mario do you think Dell will ever produce a 17" laptop with 2 physical touchpad buttons ever again ... seems you only produce those with zero or three .... seems only clevo and cheap HP laptops do it...you did it for the 15" Precision 3520/3530/3540 but hasn't been done for so long in any 17" model

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  5. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I rather doubt prior-generation keyboard will fit in the 7550/7750. This time, the "shape" of the keyboard is different. Look at the arrow keys in particular. They don't stick out the bottom anymore. There is also one fewer key between "Esc" and "Delete".

In Windows advanced power options, you can now set the power button to just turn off the display (not sleep the system). This is how I have all of my systems set up now. It makes it convenient to shut the display off while leaving the system on and impossible to "accidentally" sleep the system by hitting the power button. You can still sleep the system with the sleep button (available as a Fn key press on the Precision 7X10-7X40... It doesn't look like the Precision 7X50 keyboard has a sleep button though).

Loss of dedicated PgUp/PgDn keys is also annoying but I wouldn't mind a Fn press with those nearly as much... I feel like I could easily get used to it and I never have to combine them with any key other than Ctrl.

Home/End key feedback on the Precision 7X10 wasn't addressed until the 7X30. It could take more than one iteration to see a change.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  6. Dell-Mano_G

Reputations:
    We use 3 buttons for the touchpad because our CAD/CAM customers, and some others, require that middle button to move 3D CAD models and for other uses. I really don't see us getting away from that functionality for our customers.

7. cme685

cme685 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    yea i see im looking into getting a 7750 but not for engineering stuff...my request didn't have to be precision...i mean u actually do have 2 physical buttons on the area 51m but I went to the storee last year and that weighs like 1000 lbs (you can't put it on your lap)...i just wished Dell offered a basic 17" with 2 buttons on any line...i dont even care for specs at that point decent screen and 2 buttons and dell would be so sweet

8. ALSW123

ALSW123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Dell-Mano_G

Can a few questions from me if you would be so kind?

1.RE cooling is it just the 5750 getting vapour chamber cooling? Significant upgrades for any other models?

2.Staying with the 5750 can you confirm what max power the RTX 3000 will run at in the 5750 vs the 7550,7750?

3.Finally re RAM

Good to see ECC ram support listed on the 5550 (though not available yet?) and 5750 I see this is 2933Mhz in the spec sheets but in the 7550 and 7550 spec sheets I'm seeing 2666MHz ECC suspect that is an error? surely the top of the line systems will support faster 2993MHz ECC ram? I see you mentioned faster regular ram available and I appreciate that will always be the case but hopefully a bit of a bump for ECC this generation

Cheers

Alan

9. Dell-Mano_G

Reputations:
    Hi Alan, let me answer your questions:
    1. The 5750 is the only system with a vapor chamber & the new DOO fans but all systems have significant improvements to thermals. On the 7 series we added graphite spreaders, new metal fans with blade thickness of 0.15mm (which allows the fans to push more air at lower RPM's), larger heat pipes, User Selectable Thermal Tables moved into the BIOS so they are user accessible, higher concurrent power supported between the CPU & GPU, new copper thermal plates across all SSD's-PCH-and other components, etc..
    2. All GPU's have the ability to burst to higher power levels. The 5750 RTX3000 is about 65W, RTX3000 in 7550 & 7750 is 80W. That is the max power for that GFX card.
    3. ECC memory at launch will be 2666MHz and move to 2933MHz shortly afterward. This is across mobile workstations that support ECC memory, 3551, 5550, 5750, 7550, & 7750. Both 7 series will also have 3466MHz SuperSpeed memory shortly after launch.

Aaron44126 likes this.
  10. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This sounds like a great improvement. Can’t wait to check one out. How much flexibility is there in the BIOS for changing the thermal behavior? Is it just selecting between a few modes (“quiet”, “high performance”, etc.) or is more fine-grained control possible?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.