The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7550 & 7750 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by SlurpJug, May 30, 2020.

1. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Honestly, this schematic is the most interesting thing here. Most of the DMI schematics we've seen so far are the usual CPU <–DMI—> PCH stuff, but this actually drills down into the details of which connections are muxed with which, especially on the display side. It even separates out the three DGFF connectors, for both cases of the DGFF (pass through, and the one populated with a GPU). Two of those connectors (JDGFF2 and 3) are for the PCIe lanes, and the first, JDGFF1, is an output connector.

This even explains why the HDMI and DP ports don't work, or still only output a signal directly from the GPU, even in Optimus mode; it also explains the muxing of the USB-C display connectors.

Also explains how the SD card reader in the Precisions is amongst the fastest I've seen—it's PCIe, not USB. I wonder if it supports SD Express.

SlurpJug and alaskajoel like this.
  2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This one at least can be determined by looking at where it lands in Device Manager.
    [​IMG]

Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  3. Joah Hems

Joah Hems Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello. I am really disappointment with my Precision 5750 (trackpad and power issues mainly) so I wanted to know, can the people here share how they like the 7550 overall? Is it worth the money? How about thermals? One thing good about the XPS 17/Precision 5750 is that the thermals seem very consistent.

Also if people could share some phoronix benchs who have the i7-10875H that would be great.

So far everyone just gave "first impressions". This together with the lack of reviews does not make this a real alternative for me just yet.

4. defaultname

defaultname Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, the absence of fingerprint reader is annoying, but to me trackpad right button not working is even more annoying. I take it it doesn't work for you either (on Ubuntu)?

5. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Pretty sure they're using basically the same ALPS trackpad in the Precision 7X50 systems that they've been using in the 7000 series for years. It is, in a word, "average" — it works but it is not especially nice. (Also way smaller than the one in the XPS 17 / 5750.)

6. Joah Hems

Joah Hems Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey thanks for yourt answer. I am not talking about general "trackpadness". In that regard (so, sensitivity) the 5750's is probably the best I have had besides macs (and I am on linux).
    But the 5750 and XPS 15/17 have horrible wobbly trackpad issues. There is significant pre-click before you are even able to click. Horrible.
    (I would prefer a thousand times a mediocre trackpad like I am used from thinkpads over this wobbly s***)

7. calvino80

calvino80 Newbie

Reputations:
    TimeTec does not have a 32GB module, but for users that do not require 128GB of total memory, a representative from TimeTec confirmed this module was compatible with the Dell Precision 7550 with an Intel Core Processor i7-10750H:

Timetec Hynix Original 32GB KIT(2x16GB) DDR4 2933MHz PC4-23400 Unbuffered Non-ECC 1.2V CL21 2Rx8 Dual Rank 260 Pin SODIMM

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  8. dejazz

dejazz Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/sho...dimm-laptop-ram-visiontek/apd/ab174957/memory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Scott Jann

Scott Jann Newbie

Reputations:
    Just for completeness, the Crucial 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4-3200 Kit (CT2K32G4SFD832A) works great in the 7550 with the i7-10875 CPU.

oscarf and dejazz like this.
  10. Scott Jann

Scott Jann Newbie

Reputations:
    It worked in the 18.04 that the system shipped with, but after I installed 20.04, I have no left or right buttons (just the middle one and tap-to-click works for the left and, surprisingly, the left button does work to drag). The original ubuntu install had a few dell packages installed from dell.archive.canonical.com/updates (public from bionic-dell and bionic-dell-beaver-osp1-gendry), lsmod showed a few modules like dell-laptop and dell-rbtn, but those show up on 20.04 as well. There are focal-dell and focal-oem repositories, but no gendry. I tried adding:

deb http://dell.archive.canonical.com/updates/ focal-dell public
    # deb-src http://dell.archive.canonical.com/updates/ focal-dell public
    deb http://dell.archive.canonical.com/updates/ focal-oem public
    # deb-src http://dell.archive.canonical.com/updates/ focal-oem public

to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/focal-dell.list

and running:

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys F9FDA6BED73CDC22
    sudo apt update

but I don't know what packages to add. Under 18.04 the most interesting one that was there was oem-beaver-osp1-gendry-meta which doesn't seem to have a focal version.

defaultname likes this.