The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7550 & 7750 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by SlurpJug, May 30, 2020.

1. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Dell has different suppliers: Toshiba, Samsung, Micron.

Does said cloning software need the drive to be a Samsung as well? There are many other software that don't mandate the brand of the drive, such as gparted, dd, or Macrium Reflect...

2. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    IIRC if you are talking about Samsung Magician, it only supports retail drives like the 970 Evo, rather than OEM drives like the PM981 that Dell has a chance to ship with the machine.

3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Pretty sure the Samsung migration tool will be happy as long as the destination drive is Samsung, so if you're buying a new Samsung SSD to put in this system then you don't have to worry about it.

4. tmarshallg

tmarshallg Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Win32 is correct. The magician software only works with retail drives. Ask me how I know....lol.

5. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Next-gen update. Looks increasingly likely like we'll be seeing Tiger Lake H-series CPUs, maybe in Q1 2021. If that's true, Tiger Lake Precisions could launch in Q2 2021. (Previously, leaked roadmaps have mentioned both Tiger Lake H and Rocket Lake H so it has been unclear as to which would land for 11th gen.) It will use the Willow Cove architecture at 10nm and should be a significant improvement over Comet Lake in terms of IPC, power efficiency, and integrated graphics performance.

No DDR5 support. (It does support LPDDR5, maybe, but that is soldered...)

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-tiger-lake-h-expected-in-first-quarter-of-2021

6. defaultname

defaultname Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Awesome work. I'd just like to add my observation - when I live booted 18.04 (standard Ubuntu, not Dell's image) the right click wasn't working, in fact even the middle click wasn't working. So when you said it worked on 18.04, did you have Dell's modified image in mind?

7. Scott Jann

Scott Jann Newbie

Reputations:
    My statement was made from live booting a stock ubuntu 18.04.2 USB stick I had laying around and left and right clicks were working, no middle click (it was only labeled 18.04, so sorry for the slight omission). FWIW, Dell's 18.04 image also has no working middle click.

8. garrywang

garrywang Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi I'm a newbie here and I'm interested to buy Dell Precision 7550 but I'm waiting for the UHD HDR600 screen option.
    Is there any leak or information regarding this option availability?
    Thanks before.

9. LampyDave

LampyDave Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am in the same situation and was told on a call (not officially or with any guarantee) that they were expecting them to arrive around November.

10. garrywang

garrywang Newbie

Reputations:
    I see... still several months to wait or probably worth to wait for the next Precision using Tiger Lake?