The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7550 & 7750 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by SlurpJug, May 30, 2020.

1. Scott Jann

Scott Jann Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm not familiar with running phoronix benchmarks, which tests are you interested in?

My geekbench5 cpu results are here: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/3044272

2. defaultname

defaultname Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I guess all we can do is wait for Dell to roll over whatever tweaks they had for 18.04 to 20.04. That may take a while.

3. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Does anyone here own a 7750 with the Quadro RTX 5000? If so, might I ask if you could dump your VBIOS using nvflash, and upload it here?

alaskajoel likes this.
  4. sergey2b

sergey2b Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I am planing to buy Dell Precision 7550
    Did any to try is Acronis True Image is working with 7550

if not, do you know any application what can make image of hdd before first start?

5. Joah Hems

Joah Hems Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you! Oh wow I did quite a lot worse than you: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/3084057

Edit: Oh nevermind, the baloo file extractor was causing high CPU usage in the background, this is more representable: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/3084261

Regarding phoronix, I am also new to this but quite like it, but have read a little into which tests make sense. So far I have done only the build-linux test. Thank you!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  6. dejazz

dejazz Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi guys, my 7750 just arrived and managed to install 4 x 32gb Kingston HyperX 2933mhz DDR4. So far so good. The original 8gb ram that came with the machine are Samsung 3200mhz though. Also managed to install 3 x 2TB Adata 8200 Pro nvme. On top of the original 256gb nvme that came with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SvenC likes this.
  7. oscarf

oscarf Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks. I received the 7550 this week and ordered the same memory Crucial 64Gb. I replace the factory memory.

My order had a dual Pointing keyboard too. It is listed in the invoice too. But I do not find any center stick pointer. Is this a wrong keyboard or does it work in other way?. Is Dell selling something, which does not exist?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  8. dejazz

dejazz Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    In the bios, does it run at 3200mhz or 2933mhz? I read in nb51, a chinese forum, where someone bought 4 sticks of 32gb 3200mhz ended up have to return them because of constant error and blue screen

So far , the 4 sticks of 32gb Kingston HyperX 2933mhz seems to be working alright. Haven’t really tested or benchmarked to the extreme yet but I left it on the whole night, fingers crossed, so far still stable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Scott Jann

Scott Jann Newbie

Reputations:
    Maybe not. I did some digging and discovered the fact that right click worked on Ubuntu 18.04 was because of it using libinput 1.10.4-1 (vanilla 18.04 worked the same as the Dell modified version). Ubuntu 20.04 uses 1.15.5-1 which changed trackpad behavior to ignore right clicks on "clickpad" devices. I have submitted a merge request to libinput that adds a quirk to not treat our trackpads as a "clickpad" device which will hopefully make it into libinput and subsequently future versions of ubuntu and other distributions. I also created a patched .deb that has this fix already applied. I built the patched package on debian, but it should work fine on ubuntu as well. FYI: with the patched libinput installed, and the non-free Intel firmware loaded, vanilla debian also works great on our laptops...minus the fingerprint reader, of course.

Merge request: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libinput/libinput/-/merge_requests/481

Patched libinput packages, I think you only need to install the binary and shared library (i.e. sudo apt install ./libinput-bin_1.15.5-2_amd64.deb ./libinput10_1.15.5-2_amd64.deb after you cd to wherever you downloaded it in a terminal window, the other packages are just there for completeness): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cg0lb7979go5stm/AACroFY42poE115B13XxuRlXa?dl=0

10. rproeber

rproeber Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Do we know what brand SSD the 7750 machines have been coming with when a Class 40 is ordered. I'm hoping it would be a Samsung, so that I can use Samsung's cloning software to extremely easily move one drive to a new one, saving $ by buying the bigger drive myself.