The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7550 & 7750 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by SlurpJug, May 30, 2020.

1. Homer S

Homer S Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you are actually running a server then probably. Otherwise, I'm thinking this is a 10% bandwidth penalty on top of the ECC tax. The ECC is 2666Mhz whereas the non-ECC is 2933Mhz. Am I thinking about that right? All the 10th gen chips seem to top out at 2933Mhz.

Homer

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Dell uses several different RAM vendors. Normally their modules are good but have a higher CL rating than the lowest you can find on the market for a given speed. You can probably get cheaper/slightly better memory if you buy it separately.

CL plays a role too... Normally higher frequency chips have a higher CL (which is basically how many clock cycles it takes for the memory to respond to requests) so, depending on the numbers, it could come out to be basically a wash in the end. Though, I think that in general you can expect ECC memory to be a little bit slower than non-ECC.

In any case, I've never seen anyone claim a noticeable difference in real-world use from using memory with a small difference in frequency or CL.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  3. SlurpJug

SlurpJug Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I find that ECC outside of mission-critical applications is rather pointless since a majority of 'issues' that people encounter are at the software, driver, OS, or even firmware level. I say issues with quotations to refer to common problems like system freezes, black screens, or BSODs, all of which aren't usually caused by issues with the RAM.

You're significantly more likely to run into issues from sources other than the RAM itself, assuming the memory you bought wasn't defective.. :)

ECC will do nothing to fix memory problems caused by buggy code.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  4. defaultname

defaultname Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can anybody comment on the two different types of fingerprint readers? I believe those are power button versus FIPS. I'm gonna be running Ubuntu, so chances are neither of them will work, but I'm curious either way.
    Why do they have that ugly palm rest FIPS reader anyway, isn't the one on the power button more ergonomic?

5. SlurpJug

Reputations:
    The FIPS reader is more secure since biometric data is stored in the reader itself. It's also a lot slower than the regular fingerprint reader. I prefer the non-FIPS reader for a cleaner, more discrete appearance.

defaultname likes this.
  6. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The FIPS reader is pretty slow. You have to hold your finger on it for 2-3 seconds for it to register. I'd recommend against it unless you really need the extra security.

7. SlurpJug

Reputations:
    Have it on my 7540. It always takes a few seconds but seems to work pretty reliably as long as my finger isn't too dry or wet.

8. notetaker1

notetaker1 Newbie

Reputations:
    Order update from Dell on a 7750. Dell was having a parts shortage of motherboard since 2/06. Apparently it was resolved in the 14th of this month.

9. moogleassassin

moogleassassin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I managed to order my 7550 on the 27th May as had my account manager call me the second he had them available to order so perhaps I got lucky and missed the part shortage? Mine has shipped and the tracking information shows delivery on 24th June.

Anyone got a delivery date scheduled sooner? I'm getting a little concerned there are litterally zero reviews, hands-on, etc for the 7550/7750 as normally they would be out by now via review/demo units.

I guess if mine is one of the first to arrive I could setup an unboxing and initial impressions to get the ball rolling but hopefully they will already be people doing them by then?

For what it's worth spec's are
    I7-10875 (8core version)
    32gb
    Touch screen and IR cam
    95w battery
    T2000 graphics

Cheers all.

10. defaultname

defaultname Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I thought 6th was when 7750 became available to order? I've placed my order yesterday and got the "We have received your order" email, but apparently there must be another confirmation email. The money hasn't left my account yet and I don't see the order in "Recent Orders" on Dell's website. Is this normal?