The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7550 & 7750 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by SlurpJug, May 30, 2020.

1. SlurpJug

SlurpJug Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mine is set to arrive on the 19th, after a 1.5 week delay due to motherboard and palmrest part shortage.

I need to put in the extra DDR4-3200 Crucial SODIMMs that I recently purchased, as well as my 3 NVMe drives, so that aluminum bottom chassis will have to come off.

I'll definitely run some benchmarks and record some thermal data using HWiNFO, HWMonitor, and Afterburner + RTSS. I can toss in Cinebench R20 and others, if people request.

Here's to hoping that the removal of the side vents won't change thermal performance for the worse, which I doubt, as Dell claims to have upped the both CPU sustained power limit PL1 and the sustained PL1 when running the GPU at maximum load concurrently.

It will be also interesting to see if the fan acoustics have changed and if the fan control is any different in regards to algorithm or fixed speed values.

Any quality issues will also be noted, such as backlight bleed, fit and finish (please no stripped screws, Foxconn...), and overall sturdiness of the machine now that the magnesium skeleton is no more.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  2. moogleassassin

moogleassassin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I read the thermals whitepaper for the new precision 7550/7750 and they said new thermal controls that suggested first time that user selectable in the BIOS would override the default and PrecisionWindowsApp controls, I've not had a precision for a few years as went ultraportable for a few while (think last was the 4800 and 6800 models) I was on the road but now travel is well... erm... "nope" - I'm going powwwwwwahh again.

Anyway the quotes from the thermal whitepaper are:

"The Precision 7000 Series models lose the side vents of the previous gen, instead relying on a larger rear heat exchanger and slightly increased bottom air gap (between the bottom cover and table top) to remove heat. In these models, peak performance is possible thanks to thermal solutions that include copper plate for SSDs to provide top-notch drive performance, as well as highly conductive graphite spreaders. Dual fans with metal blades, long-horn heat pipes for strong cooling capacity, multiple fin stacks, and an 80% open ratio on the outlet area all come together to provide users with a serious benefit: 25% power improvement when the CPU is at its max. The CPU/GPU thermal solution for the Precision 7550 offers higher concurrency power support (70% CPU + 100% GPU vs. 55% CPU + 100% GPU) compared to the previous generation. Both the Precision 7550 and 7750 utilize machine learning to enhance runtime system performance, and both utilize BIOS based user selectable thermal tables to allow users to prioritize their unique needs."

I guess its probably just marketing words at this point, need to see how it actually handles itself but thought I'd post it as they claim improvement stats

3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    There are just four modes to select from in the BIOS — balanced, cool, quiet, and high performance. These are exactly the same choices that were previously present in the Dell Power Management application (M4800-M6800 and later) and added to Windows Advanced Power Options by the Dell Feature Enhancement Pack (M4400 - M4700/M6700). @Dell-Mano_G stated that they were added to the BIOS to "improve visibility" of the feature (I guess not everyone has the Dell apps installed) but there is no indication that they will behave any differently than before.

I alluded to a new fan management option in an earlier post and I plan to release that later this week. It is finished and I am now working on the how-to, documentation, etc. Not perfect by any means but I believe that it allows for a decent improvement over the stock fan behavior.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  4. moogleassassin

Reputations:
    sounds good - personally fan noise has never bothered me, its coil whine that drives me mad :) I work most of the time with headphones on which helps - but hey anything that helps for the overall community is a good thing! I'll be sure to check it out when you post it. Cheers.

Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  5. defaultname

defaultname Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wait, I thought that coil whine only affected XPS line, are you saying that Precision has this problem as well?

6. moogleassassin

Reputations:
    ah didn't mean to imply that as I've not owned a Precision for a few years now, just that that type of noise bothers me personally more than fan noise :) That said coil whine isn't limited to the XPS line, its a thing specific processors are better/worse (eg - Skylake was a nightmare for it iirc) but it can happen on pretty much any model given a number of factors - I've had it on lenovos, HP, Dells, etc

7. SlurpJug

SlurpJug Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The RTX 3000 in my 7540 exhibits squealing when under a mixture of light and heavy workloads. Slight noise on the CPU side as well.

8. Homer S

Homer S Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think i found the other difference with the "impending" core i9-10xxxH, 3200MHz memory support: link here. This might explain the reason Dell offers some 3200Mhz memory options. I can't confirm that on the Intel ARK website though.

Homer

9. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I don't think that will be limited to the i9. Those speeds rely on XMP support which normally doesn't appear on the ARK page?

10. moogleassassin

Reputations:
    oh, just had the delivery confirmation that mine is being delivered tomorrow :) anyone else got theirs yet?