The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7550 & 7750 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by SlurpJug, May 30, 2020.

1. defaultname

defaultname Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mine said it will be shipped in 12-14 working days. Was yours shipped ahead of estimate time?

2. minimalmayhem

minimalmayhem Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    tracking shows due 24/06, shipped on 15/06

3. Homer S

Homer S Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not to be difficult, just trying to understand... If that is the case, why would the ARK page list memory speed support as "Memory Types DDR4-2933" at all? It also lists the maximum memory bandwidth as 45.8 GB/s.

Homer

4. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I don't completely get it myself... never tried to use XMP memory. XMP memory profiles basically allows using memory at speeds beyond the DDR spec.

Here's a page with a list of supported CPUs + system models (through 9th gen)... there are Core i5 and i7 CPUs listed.
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/xmp-for-core-processors.html

For example, on the first page of that document, it shows a system that can run at memory speed 3600 MHz on the Core i7 8700K, but if you look at the ARK page for that CPU, it caps out at DDR4-2666. You can see some Dell Precision 7X40 entries on page 3 and 7X30 entries on page 5.

I guess it doesn't show on the ARK page because it requires specific support for the system in order to run at that speed. All systems should be able to run at 2933.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  5. SlurpJug

SlurpJug Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mine is set to arrive tomorrow as well.

6. Aaron44126

Reputations:
  7. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Awesome, guys...
    I'm especially interested in:
    * Photo of the system with the bottom panel removed :)
    * Check directions here and see if "manual" fan control still works.

Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  8. defaultname

defaultname Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have "The best SSD" question. I was about to order the good ol' Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, but then I found out that in August Sammy is releasing the 980 Pro which is gonna be mind blowingly fast - twice the speed of 970 Pro. The downside is that it would need PCIe 4.0 to achieve that. I realize that it wouldn't be as fast in my 7750 because of PCIe 3.0, but would it still be faster than the 970 Pro, is it worth to wait? I only intend to have a single SSD in my laptop.

9. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    As mentioned, the bottleneck in Intel notebooks is the DMI 3.0 link, which has slightly less bandwidth than a PCIe 3.0 ×4 connection. This is shared between the NVMe drives, the 1GbE Ethernet, the USB ports, etc etc.

You will not max out the bandwidth of the new SSDs—not even anywhere close. Save your cash, get a 970 Evo or a WD SN750 Black, or even one of the HP SSDs. If you only want 1 SSD, consider getting the Sabrent Rocket 4 TB one.

defaultname likes this.
  10. SlurpJug

SlurpJug Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How is the reliability of the Sabrent Rocket?

I'm hesitant to even touch WD ever since they bought out SanDisk. *Shudders*