The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7550 & 7750 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by SlurpJug, May 30, 2020.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Agreed, you won’t be able to use the improved speed of the 980 Pro in this system. Unless you need the higher endurance, Samsung 970 EVO Plus is fine.

Hoping that Samsung puts out 980 EVO and 980 QVO drives in the near future as well. I’d like to see some higher capacity options from them. There’s no reason that we can’t have 4TB EVO and 8TB QVO drives. (8TB Samsung 870 QVO SATA drive info leaked recently, looks like those are on the way soon.)

2. SlurpJug

SlurpJug Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So the new machine came in and I have good news to report.

A full review with all the details will be coming in the following days.

For now:

7550 in high-performance mode:
    [​IMG]

alaskajoel likes this.
  3. SlurpJug

Reputations:
    The power profiles no longer change the PL1 or PL2 power limits. It changes the fan control, which kicks in much more aggressively.

Fan noise is drastically improved from last gen with less of a high pitched noise coming from the Sunon fans of the last model. I can only hear the sound of rushing wind.

The fan control has been somewhat improved as well (finally!) We still have the fixed speeds but the transitions are a bit smoother. Nice QoL upgrade.

Airflow is significantly improved and removal of side vents makes machine so much more comfortable right off the bat. The machine seems to be pulling in way more air from the vents.

And here's a benchmark:

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    Kyle and alaskajoel like this.
  4. SlurpJug

Reputations:
    @Aaron44126

Bottom cover was a PITA to remove. Plastic spudger required to release clips.

Fan blades confirmed to be metal.

[​IMG]

ygohome, Kyle, Aaron44126 and 2 others like this.
  5. SlurpJug

Reputations:
    Size comparison between 7550 and 7540:

[​IMG]

6. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Interesting, a 75 W PL1 limit, and a 135 W PL2 limit, that’s really nice. @SlurpJug, nice shots. Things look a lot more cramped on the 7550 compared to the 7530/7540.

Are you planning to tear the notebook down any further, to expose, say, the DGFF?

Kyle likes this.
  7. SlurpJug

Reputations:
    In the coming days, or weeks, perhaps. Very busy as of late but I'll try to make time for it since I'm interested to see if any of the thermal pastes I have will help performance. Machine is dead silent on balanced mode with web browsing, VSCode, and Matlab home screen open :)

I do run off the dGPU exclusively so that adds another 10-15W of heat or so to the heatsink.

Here's a little glimpse.

[​IMG]

Kyle and Ionising_Radiation like this.
  8. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    Nice, confirms that the DGFF sort-of slides beneath the motherboard. Man, replacing it is going to be painful.

How are load temps, under CBR20? The 7530/40 has a lot of trouble keeping beneath 90 degrees C, and I’m wondering if the increased power limits on the 7550 affect anything.

SlurpJug likes this.
  9. SlurpJug

Reputations:
    I'm hitting the wall at 100c with 95-100W of power draw, sustained. The PL2 limit is still 75W under HWiNFO but I don't know if it is reporting the limits correctly since I saw no drops to 75W during the loop test.

10. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    I presume this is AC power as measured at the socket. Still, that 100C figure is... not fun. Let’s wait and see, and thanks much!

SlurpJug likes this.