The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 6730b

6730b Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    On 5540 same problem until realizing Realtek needs (the otherwise completely undesirable) Waves MaxxAudio Pro bloat + it's services running. Maybe affects other Precisions.

2. hoxuantu

hoxuantu Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I had same audio problem with stock Windows version on my 7560. I installed fresh Windows and drivers, then the audio port has worked properly.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  3. ioni

ioni Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anybody upgrade windows 10 pro to windows 10 pro workstation? Does it sense?

4. alittleteapot

alittleteapot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For most people and most needs, Win 10 Pro is exactly the same as Win 10 Pro Workstation. From what I understand, the only real difference is being able to easily format data drives/partitions with the ReFS filesystem. If you don't know what that is, then it's very unlikely you will ever need it!

5. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    +1. The only benefit is ReFS. Pro for Workstations has some other added features but they all require hardware that is not present in the Precision laptops. You can use ReFS on regular Windows 10 Pro anyway, you just have to jump through some hoops to format the volume. (Formatting with the command line from WinPE works fine.)

6. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Solution to get the 3.5mm connector working for heatset/microphone input.

Download and install: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/w...2019/9pjppgg8tgvg?activetab=pivot:overviewtab
    Run the program once.

After that, you should get a popup when you plug in a device to the 3.5mm jack, and if you select "headset", the microphone input will be activated.

Not sure if there is a newer version of this program, since it is labeled "2019". I found the link in a Dell thread about the Precision 7540. The audio driver download package doesn't install this software. Is anyone who is using the Dell-provided Windows image able to figure out what version of the Waves software is installed from the Microsoft store? Nothing shows up when I search in the store, and I can't find anything on the Dell driver/downloads page about downloading the Waves software.

To check:
    * Open the Microsoft store.
    * Click the top right "..." and then "My Library".
    * Find the Waves MaxxAudio software in the list, click the "..." next to it and then "Share", and then "Copy link" to get the store page URL.

thock and Asleep like this.
  7. SvenC

SvenC Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    On my 7740 there is a Waves MaxxAudio Pro app with version 2.0.54.0

MS Store shows that app regularily in its updates but the update never succeeds.

I followed the link above and that shows the same version number.

8. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    That's the same version that I have. Pulled fresh this morning and it's not showing an update available.

I am more wondering if there is a different version for the Precision 7X60 (or 7X50). It would be helpful for people setting up their own Windows installs but wanting to have the appropriate Dell software available to install if needed. I can't search the Microsoft Store to look. It doesn't even return this "2019" version that I already have in the search results if I search for something like "Waves MaxxAudio".

Doesn't matter that much either way. It's working with this version, popping up when I plug in a headset as expected. It even "remembers" the last selected option so I don't really have to select anything, which is something that I could never get working on the Precision 7530.

(Sort of sad that this is necessary. If my iPhone can correctly detect whether headphones or a headset are plugged into the 3.5mm jack dongle, surely Realtek could figure it out too...)

9. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I do not have the Waves MaxxAudio on my 7760.

10. RockoDesvan

RockoDesvan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The app that works like the Waves MaxxAudio one since the Precision 7750, is the "Dell Optimizer" one.
    https://dl.dell.com/FOLDER07104096M/1/Dell-Optimizer_KNH7M_WIN_2.0.651.0_A00.EXE

It offers a lot of options to "optimize" the system -many of them I found more intrusive than helpful-, and some of them are related to audio.
    You can disable most "optimizations", but let it work to pop a message when you plug something into the 3.5mm jack.

thock likes this.