The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    OK... That makes sense, thanks.
    Though I think that I will just continue using the Waves MaxxAudio app in that case, it works and less bloat. :-\

[Edit]
    After some testing, I'm comfortable that the "Headset" setting sticks well enough (even across reboots) that I checked the "don't show this again" checkbox on the MaxxAudio box that pops up when I connect something to the 3.5mm jack, so I don't even have to deal with the popup, it just works. It looks like you can go to the MaxxAudio app and manually set the jack mode as well. I'll use something other than a headset infrequently enough that I'm fine having to open up the app and manually change the port configuration in that case.

(I also visited the MaxxAudio app and disabled all of the audio enhancement options that I could find.)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    thock and RockoDesvan like this.
  2. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    @Aaron44126, thanks for the app. Although I have been using the Apple USB-C to 3.5mm adaptor, and the nice thing is that it somehow has a volume control that magically enables sidetone on my over-ear headset with mic (HyperX Cloud 2) that didn't come with sidetone. Very useful.

Click on the Headset from the Playback (not the Recording tab):
    [​IMG]
    Adjust the lower bar to hear sidetone from the output:
    [​IMG]
    The top bar is the master volume. Of course, how loud you hear yourself is also proportional to the master volume...

thock likes this.
  3. drNoob13

drNoob13 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there,

This is my first time here. I have placed an order for a precision 7560 with RTX A4000. I have two questions if you don't mind.

1) The order was confirmed on Sep 21 and ETA was set to Nov 16 (attached below). I understand there's a chip shortage that caused the large backlogs, and all orders are processed in China before getting shipped back to the States, which essentially pushed the process even further. However, as of today the Dell order webpage still says my order is "about to go to production". Is that just a glitch on the webpage, or my order just got some really bad delay? I have heard, from binge-reading 100+ pages in this megathread that there seemed to be some significant delay with the 7560 production in general.

[​IMG]

2) I want to upgrade my RAM to 32GB (and 64GB later on). I plan to install a pair of Crucial 3200 CAS latency (CL) 22 @ 1.2V. What do you think? My use case is machine learning; I don't game. In addition, I would run automotive simulations every now and then, so fast 3D model rendering is something I would not overlook. Besides the Crucial CL 22, I also have my eyes on the Crucial Ballistix 3200 CL 16, i.e. ~27% faster than the other but operates at 1.35V. Lower operating voltage would translate to lower power consumption and heat dissipation, so the Crucial CL 22 might be better for training deep learning models in an extended period of time (only if I must). I'm not sure if there is a difference between CL 16 and 22 for my use cases. If there is a noticeable improvement in speed with CL 16, I'll consider getting the Ballistix instead.

4. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    The memory generally doesn't create much heat; the two biggest contributors to thermal power will be the CPU and the GPU (which has its own memory to contend with). I have the Ballistix CL16 sticks; they work well and are easily installed. Go for it.

drNoob13 likes this.
  5. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Can't you do this with any input? Though I guess maybe it would not be possible to set the volume level of the "sidetone" separately from the main volume. I imagine there are dedicated apps for this though. Still, nifty feature from the Apple adapter. I've been using it for several months as well and I didn't know that was there.
    [​IMG]

This is a normal delay for right now, unfortunately. The delay may be different depending on the configuration that you ordered. (For example, it seems that selecting the 4K panel is adding quite a bit of time to the order turnaround estimate.) It's quite possible that you'll get the system earlier than the estimated delivery date. Mine showed up early (by around two weeks as I recall).

drNoob13 likes this.
  6. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    That 'listen to this device' option introduces several hundred milliseconds of lag, which makes it unusable. The Apple adaptor's sidetone is instantaneous, like a true sidetone implementation.

7. drNoob13

drNoob13 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot. It's good to know the Ballistix CL16 works well.

Appreciate the information and your own experience with the shipping process. I'm glad you got it few weeks earlier than the ETA. Btw, I just shot a message to the Dell customer service, and they said they would look into it to see if there was any way to expedite. 2-month ETA is a bit much for me.

8. RockDr

RockDr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    When I ordered my 7760 (Xeon, RTX A5000, UHD 3840x2160 screen), this is what happened:

upload_2021-9-29_11-13-53.png

The original delivery date was estimated to be Sep 26 2021, so arrived approx 2 weeks early.

drNoob13 likes this.
  9. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Another user here eventually had stability issues with the Ballistix memory.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...60-owners-thread.836381/page-97#post-11118843

drNoob13 likes this.
  10. rwzeitgeist

rwzeitgeist Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The shortage includes major components besides chips, e.g., UHD screens.

I called order support to ask about my 7560's location and learned that "shipped" means the item shipped from the factory, i.e., from China. You'll probably receive a domestic tracking number when your order leaves the factory, but you cannot track the shipment as it moves from China to the USA. Getting from China to Chicago, then through customs, and finally delivered to Federal Express' takes several days. In my case:
    • 6/24 - placed an order for a 7560
    • 8/3 - original estimated ship date
    • 8/6 - original estimated delivery date
    • 6/30 - 7560 order entered production
    • 7/6 - 7560 left factory: "We've finished customizing your product and are sending it from our factory to our sorting center."
    • 7/10 - An email from Dell says, "Your order has shipped early." and includes the FedEx tracking number. FedEx says they've issued the tracking number but don't have the box.
    • 7/15 - FedEx still says they don't have the box. I called order support, who tells me the 7560 arrived in Chicago earlier that day.
    • 7/16 - Dell delivered the box to FedEx.
    • 7/19 - FedEx delivered the box to me.
    So from the time Dell says "it shipped" to actual delivery was 10 days, but I could only track the shipment for the last four days.

drNoob13 likes this.