The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. drNoob13

drNoob13 Newbie

Reputations:
    Oh great! Thank you. I chose the FHD. Hopefully, I can get my laptop a bit earlier.

Thanks for the pointer. I have just read all these posts. I would probably go with the Crucial CL22 memory just to be safe as I value stability more than performance.

Great! It's good to know you've got your order in less than a month. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully, I will also receive mine soon. Will update when it arrives.

2. bugboy

bugboy Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a Precision 7560 with the i9 processor and I don't have this option in my BIOS. I want to run with 2x16GB + 2x8GB, but it lowers the memory bandwidth to 2933Mhz :( I can't find an option to enable XMP profiles...

To also add something to this thread... I bought the 7560 as a successor to my 5-year old Precision 5510 which has served me very well, but the throttling and constant fan noise made me switch to the 7560 model. It's definitely a lot bulkier and it's heavy, so if you travel a lot then buy the Precision 5560 instead. If you're like me don't travel much, then the 7560 is the better option. Better heat management, more ports (built-in ethernet is useful) and more performance with less noise.

I went for the FHD model, because I use the laptop docked 99% of the time. In my country (The Netherlands) you need to switch to a custom-build model which is over $400 more expensive for the configuration that I wanted. Because SSD + RAM is pretty expensive at Dell, I chose to buy a lower-end spec and do the upgrades myself. Cheaper, but replacing the primary memory module isn't for everyone (although it's certainly doable if you carefully follow the instructions in the service manual).

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Even if your mis-matched modules are the same speed, if they don't have the same specs (CL/timings) then you will get stuck at a slower speed. XMP may not be an option because the different modules that you have don't agree on what the XMP timings should be.

4. bugboy

bugboy Newbie

Reputations:
    I tried with 2x16GB + 2x8GB (both from Crucial) and both are rated for 3200Mhz and CL22. According to CPU-Z the timings are identical based on the SPD values.

I have tried the following three combinations (all of them dropped to 2933Mhz):
    1. 2x8GB (stock Micron) + 2x16GB (Crucial)
    2. 2x8GB (Crucial) + 2x16GB (Crucial)
    3. 2x8GB (stock Micron) + 2x8GB (Crucial)
    When I switch to only the 2x16GB set, then it switches back to 3200Mhz again. The 8GB are all single ranked modules that are rated 1600Mhz and CL22 (according to CPU-Z). De 16GB has identical timings, but is a dual rank set. The system only seems to run on 3200Mhz with CL22 when I run with only 2x16GB

This is running with only one bank filled (in this example 2x8GB):
    [​IMG]

With two banks filled, the frequency drops and command rate increases (both bad). The only advantage is CL21 instead of CL22:
    [​IMG]

I'm not really happy with these results. It's a pain to extend the memory on this laptop without trying a lot of modules. If I had known in advance, I might have bought the (expensive) memory upgrade directly from Dell. But I also want to know why I don't have the XMP option...

5. snout_hound

snout_hound Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have two 7760 laptops, one for work and a personal one. Today, I upgraded the memory and storage on both laptops. Both laptops were ordered with the minimum of 8 GiB of memory and 256 GB of storage. My personal laptop came with Windows 10 Pro installed and I retained the 256 GB drive with Windows installed but added 3 Samsung 2 TB drives. One is the 980 with PCIE4 and the other 2 are the 970 Evo Plus with PCIE3. I also installed 128 GiB of Crucial CL22 memory. For my personal laptop, all of the component installs seemed to go smoothly because I upgraded it second. However, now when I try to boot up the laptop, nothing happens - just a black screen. No Dell logo and no boot of Windows 10.

Any ideas about how I can troubleshoot this problem? When I look at the troubleshooting section of the Dell users manual for the 7760, it describes various combinations of blinking lights, etc. However, I am not seeing any blinking lights or any sign that the laptop is responding to my attempt to power it on. It was booting into Windows 10 just fine before my upgrades.

6. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Did you try and unplug and hold the power button down. Not sure how long. Maybe 30 sec.

Was fast startup turned on? Maybe it is stuck in a low power sleep and holding the power butting may clear it.

Just a guess.

7. snout_hound

Reputations:
    Thanks. No, I did not try unplugging and holding down the power button but I can try that. Not sure what fast startup is? I rarely use Windows because of mainly doing software development with Linux. However, I plan to dual boot Windows and Linux with my personal laptop because I do have some personal needs for Windows.

I did follow the instructions for doing the component upgrades including removing the battery.

8. snout_hound

Reputations:
    So, unplugging and holding down the power button did seem to help as I am now able to boot Windows 10 again. However, in the front right corner of the laptop is a steadily blinking amber light. Not sure what that means yet. Also, Windows does seem to be recognizing all 128 GiB of the memory I added and says that 127 GiB are usable as others have reported.

9. snout_hound

Reputations:
    Now, it seems I am able to boot Windows 10 when the laptop is plugged in to the power brick but I get no response when trying to boot from battery power. I think I need to go check and see if the battery was reconnected properly.

10. snout_hound

Reputations:
    Looks like my problem was that I did not get the battery connection fully seated. I opened up the laptop and redid that step and now it boots Windows fine when on battery power.

Thanks for the help.

alaskajoel likes this.