The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Drats. Ah well. Thanks for checking. I'll have my own 7560 in a few days to mess with. Maybe I can find another option...

Nope, it really is that dumb. Turns out that in the calculator app, "Delete" performs the CE function and "F9" performs the +/- function, so Dell just added extra copies of those keys. Just discovered this myself recently, while looking into updating SharpKeys to include those in its list for remapping. http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...50-owners-thread.833097/page-75#post-11103212

[Edit]
    I made this post with all of the alternatives that I could think of ...
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...lease-discussion.835782/page-29#post-11103129

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    thock likes this.
  2. zhongze12345

zhongze12345 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    On my i9 (7760), I haven't seen the CPU go below 3GHz in a 100% CPU only load.

3. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    I am looking at the ZBook Fury G8, and it's a pity more people don't buy it. Like I mentioned in the 7550 thread, the ZBook Fury has a nicer keyboard, still has the trackpoint thing, and has toolless access. Even the packaging looks nicer.

4. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    Might I ask if everyone who's already gotten their 7560s and 7760s to share the panel information from HWINFO? Specifically, this page:
    [​IMG]

5. rwzeitgeist

rwzeitgeist Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Adjusting the window panels a bit will eliminate a lot of the blank space.

hwinfo_monitor.jpg

Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  6. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
  7. jack574

jack574 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Does anyone know how to reduce the icon spacing in the system tray? Mine looks like this:
    upload_2021-7-26_8-56-55.png

I have tried this setting, and it doesn't fix it.
    upload_2021-7-26_8-58-21.png

Thanks!

Edit - never mind, have fixed it, but can't see how to delete my post....

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  8. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    With regard to switching the AHCI, I saw this post on the 7x50 thread.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...50-owners-thread.833097/page-75#post-11104232

Is it correct that the bios recovery options will not work if switching to AHCI or are these items limited to just this one user?

I am still debating on making the change but do not want to create an issue. I plan on adding more drives, probably Samsung, so that is why I am leaning to change.

Also, out of curiosity. Could I have hit F2 and make the change in the bios the very first boot before windows setup or would that have messed up the out of the box setup?

9. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This is possible... I've never tried using the BIOS OS recovery option.
    If you need to do a new Windows install for some reason and Windows is still functioning, you can do it from right within Windows. (Settings → Update & security → Recovery) This wouldn't matter which "disk mode" you have.

...And if Windows is not functioning, you can create USB installation media on another PC to do a new install.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

(...Or you could just switch back to RAID mode, do the recovery, and then switch back to ACHI/NVMe.)

My Precision 7560 is being delivered today. I've been in touch with our IT department and I should have it in my hands later this afternoon. This is going to be one of the first config changes that I make. I'll let you know if I run into any issues but I'm not expecting any.

Pretty sure that you would get a boot BSOD if you tried doing this. You need to invoke safe mode. (Now, you can let the BSOD go a few times and eventually Windows will offer you some recovery options and you can get to safe mode that way. Just a hassle. The directions I provided earlier are the cleanest way to do it.)

10. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So setting up windows first and then switching to AHCI is still the preferred option? I am not at my 7760 now, but there are several recovery partitions on the drive. I will do a screen shot later. I was curios what each are for.

Also, is the boot diagnostic a recovery partition or is that something separate?

Looking forward to hearing what you do on setting it up.