The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It was working correctly before I turned off Hybrid Graphics in the Bios and then turned it back on. It was after it was back on everything was just using the Nvidia Card.

Edit, well there is a Intel Graphics Command Center. I wonder if that could have fixed it too.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  2. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    What I wanted to say is when you turned off "Hybrid graphics", Windows may have changed the preferred GPU to the be performance one (the dGPU, the only one available with "Hybrid graphics" off) and let it that way when you enabled "Hybrid graphics" again.

3. rinconmike

Reputations:
    I think in a way that is correct. Once I disabled the Hybrid Graphics, Windows defaulted to the NVidia and only way to get it back was the uninstall of Nvidia. Just a guess.

I found where it says the intel driver must be installed first. It is on the Dell Nvidia driver downlaod.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/e...de=wt64a&productcode=precision-17-7760-laptop
    upload_2021-7-26_18-55-0.png

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  4. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'll note that if you do some sort of mixed mode (internal display on Intel GPU, external display attached to NVIDIA GPU) then you'll often see apps "stuck" on the NVIDIA GPU after you disconnect the external display. You can restart them to get them to use the Intel GPU, but sometimes it's system apps like the lock screen which aren't easy to restart. You can avoid this sort of thing by turning the discrete mode output setting off and attaching your external displays via USB-C. (Everything will be running off of the Intel GPU, just like on the internal display.)

I'd agree with you regarding reinstalling drivers when switching hybrid graphics on or off. If you decide to switch hybrid graphics off again later you should not only do a full reinstall of the NVIDIA drivers, but uninstall the Intel GPU drivers (maybe using DDU).

5. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Comments after removing the bottom panel.
    It's a bit different than I expected, being used to the Precision 7530 again. The entire "side" of the chassis comes off, not just the bottom. Not bad, though, I just "pried" starting with the smart card slot and pretty soon the whole thing just popped off. No broken tabs or anything as far as I can tell. Still a little bit trickier than removing the 7530 bottom panel.

The PCIe4 SSD slot has a weird plastic enclosure that detaches separately. Maybe this has something to do with making the drive easy to remove through the bottom SSD door (which I do not have). I found installing another drive in that slot to be a little bit tricky. It did not show up in the BIOS the first time I tried and I had to go and re-seat it, so I did not have it aligned quite properly or something on the first attempt.

Right now I have the system with 2× 512GB SSDs (one of them came with the system, one is from my Precision 7530) and also a new 4TB "Sabrent Rocket Q4", which is a PCIe4 drive. Working through data shuffling right now. I think that I should be able to finish it up tonight and use this as a production workstation for work tomorrow. I'm just using the Windows install from my Precision 7530 (and Precision 7510 before that) so after installing some drivers I should be good to go pretty quickly.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  6. rinconmike

Reputations:
    Which Slot did you install the 4TB?

7. zhongze12345

zhongze12345 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I haven't noticed popping sounds yet

8. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    It’s PCIe4 so in the PCIe4 slot. (It’s not the boot drive and that seems fine.)

9. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Count yourself lucky I guess. It’s simple to reproduce for me. This was with the stock Windows image to boot, not my old crufty one that I am moving over.

zhongze12345 likes this.
  10. rinconmike

Reputations:
    Would the SATA work of you have the RAID on in the bios? This is what it says. Just a thought when I saw SATA. If so, maybe RAID On is better on the newer machines?

upload_2021-7-26_21-8-30.png