The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Tell you what. I'll give this a try when I get the 7560 in and see what happens. (I'm not going to keep the preinstalled Windows image but I will boot it up to check things out a little bit before clobbering it.)

Since Windows is preinstalled with all of the drivers and stuff then I believe it will be already in a state where it expects the RAID controller to be present.

If you are doing a brand new Windows install from DVD/USB media and don't care about the preinstalled one then it would be fine to switch to ACHI/NVMe first thing. (In fact that would be the easiest thing to do.)

2. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ha. if it is one or the other, I'd rather see you setup windows and then switch over.

3. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Just unboxed and powered on. First impressions coming soon. However, I did try switching to ACHI/NVMe first thing and the OS and I got a BSOD at boot like I suspected. I switched back to RAID and the system booted right up.

[Edit]
    On ACHI/NVMe mode now, just used the "safe mode" trick described before, no issues.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    zhongze12345 likes this.
  4. rinconmike

Reputations:
    Thanks. Did you disable bitlocker? I am going to try in a little bit and planned to disable bitlocker first.

5. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    I actually hadn't enabled BitLocker yet when I did it. But, you don't need to disable BitLocker, just suspend it. (I've done this same thing many times on other systems.)

Some first impressions

• After just taking it out of the box. The aluminum chassis is really nice. I wasn't really expecting for it to seem like that much of a step up from the 7530, but I'd say that they have definitely continued to improve the build. It's very sturdy.
    • Power supply seems to be the same as the 7530 one (not that I was expecting any different).
    • Mine did some with the sticker on the touchpad that some other users have mentioned. I just took it off, no problem. (I also took the "Xeon" sticker off of the palm rest and reapplied it on the bottom of the system next to the "Windows" sticker.)
    • I got the non-FIPS fingerprint reader. I like having it in the power button, but the power button isn't labeled as a power button (it's like a "blank" key) so that's kind of strange. Not something I was expecting, I hadn't seen any photos of it I guess. I tried it and it does scan way faster than the FIPS one, I'm happy with it.
    • Design perk to the IR camera / non-WWAN version... the "lid" is entirely aluminum, there's no separate plastic piece at the top to enclose the antennas.
    • I feel like I saw someone mention a glass touchpad in their first impressions post. The touchpad is pretty nice but it doesn't seem like there is glass on it to me.
    • Glad to have the speakers back up above the keyboard where they belong :)
    • Funny that the keyboard backlight was not activated by default, you'd think they'd want to show it off a bit if you spent extra money on it.
    • Stock image is Windows 10, version 20H2 (not 21H1).
    • That stupid Realtek audio popping is definitely present. I noticed it when system alert sounds pop up. This has been an issue going back to the Precision M4800/M6800 when they switched to the Realtek audio chip. This can be avoided by basically streaming silence to the Realtek chip. I have support for this in the "Dell Fan Management" version 3 beta, but if there is interest I could come up with a standalone program as well.
    • I tried this registry fix to get S3 sleep back (instead of "modern standby" or whatever). I don't really care about sleep so much but I'd like to have the advanced power options available. It did restore the advanced power options, but it makes both sleep and hibernate unavailable. Not sure if I'll stick with it or not. https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/h0r56s/getting_back_s3_sleep_and_disabling_modern/

I'll try to post some photos later (probably tomorrow). Now, I'm going to try to open the bottom and get my drives moved in.

[Edit]
    After enabling "modern standby" again, the hibernate option is still not available — is this normal? (First "modern standby" capable system here.)

alaskajoel and zhongze12345 like this.
  6. rinconmike

Reputations:
    I switch to AHCI. I suspended bit locker first. Your directions were good.

I have an issue with the Hybrid Graphics. Last night I decided to disable the Hybrid Graphics in the bios. I booted into windows, and looked like all was using the Nvdia card. This morning I went back into bios and enabled the Hybrid Graphics. I just noticed that all the apps re still using the Nvdia card. In device manager I do see the Intel adapter listed but it does not look like the system is using it.

Any ideas?

7. rinconmike

Reputations:
    Do you mean not available on the start menu?

Go into power options, then "choose what the power but does," then at the top "change settings that are currently unavailable," then check hibernate to show in power menu.

I assume this will allow to put in hibernate. This is how I did it on my surface. Have not done on the 7760 yet.

zhongze12345 likes this.
  8. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Thanks, that's probably it. I forgot about that option. (Can't try right now. System is torn apart, in the middle of drive cloning.)

I did try moving in a 2TB M.2 SATA drive. Doesn't work. Checked device manager, the system doesn't even have a SATA/AHCI controller. NVMe or bust. (I got a new 4TB NVMe drive to use in here for secondary storage, but it would have been nice to be able to carry that drive over too...)

9. rinconmike

Reputations:
    So i figured I had to uninstall the Nvidia driver (I recall reading somewhere the Intel Driver needs to be installed first). I chatted with support first. Rep said uninstall both drivers and then reinstall intel first. Rep said uninstall the Nvidia from Programs not in device manager so I did. I let it reboot and windows then automatically installed the Nvidia driver. I then installed the Nvidia downloaded driver. Turns out it also uninstalled the RTX Manager so I had to download that from the Nvidia site and install. Now it seemed to work. Now, the only time the Nvidia card was active was when I ran an app that in graphics settings I set yo use it. I got disconnected from the chat and a new rep came on. Although it seemed to work, this Dell rep recommended to uninstall both drivers (not just the Nvidia), reboot, and, install the Intel, reboot, and install Nvidia. He also said just uninstall from Device manager. So I decided to do it. Figured it could not hurt anything.

I uninstalled Intel and uninstalled Nvidia from Device manager. I have a UHD screen so things got small. In device manager I saw the Nvidia populate in the list before I restarted. On restart, windows installed drivers for both adapters. Same versions I had before. All seemed fine, but I went ahead and I installed the Intel driver, rebooted, installed the Nvidia, rebooted. I decided to install the Nvidia 471.41 and the latest RTX Manager (which I am not using but it was on the system before).

So it works.

To sum it up, looks like if you turn off hybrid graphics and then decided to turn it on. Uninstall the Nvidia driver from device manager, reboot. Windows will install the Nvidia driver but then reinstall the download to make sure. You might or might not have to install the RTX manager. I think all I did above at first was a little overkill.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    thock likes this.
  10. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Notebook Geek

Reputations:

Maybe it was just Windows setup to always use the performance GPU in graphic settings. But it's a wild guess.