The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    ...Was the system powered off while you tried this? (I definitely would not expect 45W to charge it while it is powered on.)
    I tried an 85W MacBook Pro charger on my Precision 7530 and that was not enough to charge it while it was powered on. Maybe it seems like it would "technically" work if you're operating under a light workload, but Dell is typically pretty conservative with the power draw on these systems when you plug in a low-powered adapter. However, I'd expect that lower powered adapters could maybe charge the system if it is powered off or sleeping.

On prior 17" systems a user here tried 90W and 130W Dell adapters, and the system would only start charging while powered on with the 130W.

2. jack574

jack574 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ah, I didn't realise you meant that.

Still though, as a test I used the Nvidia control panel to tell a particular program to use the integrated graphics, but when I told it to, it had no problem doing so:
    upload_2021-8-3_11-55-8.png

Is my behaviour different to yours, or have I misunderstood?

3. jack574

Reputations:
    When I wrote that I was using the laptop on its own, with no external displays or docks.

I then just closed the lid and plugged the dock in, and the laptop died and wouldnt wake up. Needed to be force rebooted by holding down the power button.

When i re-enabled hybrid graphics I didn't enable Direct Graphics Controller Direct Output Mode - maybe that was the problem?

4. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The issue I had after disabling and then re-enabling the Hybrid Graphics in Bios is that everything was using the Nvidia card and nothing was using the Intel Card when using the system with no monitors. Processes and apps like windows explorer, edge, etc... were using the Nvidia card but should be using the Intel. Only fix was one I described earlier.

I was not using the Nvidia Control Panel of Display Settings to force an app to use one graphics card or the other.

I believe the system should default to the Intel Graphics Card unless there is an app that needs the Nvidia or you set Nvidia Control Panel or Display settings to force an app to use the Nvidia card. My case was that all processes were using the Nvidia card.

On the Taskbar Icon, look at the process. Do you have Outlook, Teams, Cortana, or Dropbox or something similar running. I think these should not be using the Nvidia card by default with Hybrid Graphics on.

5. jack574

Reputations:
    I have my internal display running on the intel card, and external displays (via dock) are all running on the Nvidia card, without having to reinstall any drivers after re-enabling HG (I have also now re-enabled DGCDOM)

upload_2021-8-3_12-8-49.png upload_2021-8-3_12-8-55.png

6. jack574

Reputations:
    Ah - yes, I do have a load of stuff running on the Nvidia card - teamviewer, chrome, calculator, dropbox etc.

7. rinconmike

Reputations:
    test it with no monitors hooked up.

Enable the Display GPU Activity. Click on the Activity Icon and see what process are running on the Nvidia GPU.

upload_2021-8-3_7-10-44.png

thock likes this.
  8. rinconmike

Reputations:
    With no monitors hooked up and Hybrid Graphics On, I believe these should be using the Intel Card (saves power). That is how I realized something was not right when everything was using the Nvidia Card.

9. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If you connect a display that attaches to the NVIDIA GPU and then disconnect it, you will likely see a hoard of apps still "using" the NVIDIA GPU until you close and re-open them. This is normal (unfortunately). The proper way to fix this is to only attach displays to the Intel GPU. (Direct discrete output mode off, and connect via the USB-C ports.)

10. jack574

Reputations:
    Yep - I just noticed Slack and Chrome were running on the Nvidia card for example, so closed them, went into the Nvidia control panel and set this option:
    upload_2021-8-3_12-15-23.png

Restarted Chrome and Slack, and they no longer show up as running on the Nvidia GPU.

Did you try that option?

Thanks!

Attached Files: