The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. zhongze12345

zhongze12345 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    upload_2021-8-2_14-27-24.png
    At 125-130W (CPU turbo boost off and speedshift set to 255 for ~13W CPU power), the GPU is around 1850mhz
    I reduced the clock increase for the same voltage to +170mhz since +175mhz was slightly unstable

2. jack574

jack574 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Multitasking - ok, fair enough. Probably not an issue in reality then!

Regarding being unable to use the dGPU - I was thinking of programs like SW Visualise 2020 for example - it wasn't able to use the A5000. Only the 2021 version was able to. Although the 2020 version did still run, it just used the CPU for rendering instead of the GPU. Just made me wonder if there were other applications that needed a GPU but couldn't use the dGPU, so wouldn't run at all. As you can tell I know very little about this stuff so if you guys tell me it's not an issue I'll take your word for it!

Many thanks again for the replies

3. Chin_Chan_Lee

Chin_Chan_Lee Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Have you set programs to use the High Performance Nvidia card in the Nvidia Control Panel? It could be that.

4. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    In this case, it would just continue to do CPU rendering if you disable hybrid graphics. However, really, this is a rare example of an app that really cares what GPU it is running on. Programs using standard graphics APIs (DirectX, OpenGL/Vulkan, ...) shouldn't need any special work to run on any particular GPU.

[Edit]
    It looks like Visualize uses CUDA, which is NVIDIA-specific, but still supported across multiple generations. New GPUs should be able to run CUDA code from apps written for previous generations. I suspect that, if they are really blocking Ampere GPUs, it's more of a "let's keep the income stream going" thing more than anything else.

5. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Whoa, they actually disabled the locks on the clock and voltage slider!

Big news. Now, if we could only find a way to get the Home and End keys back...

6. ceasar2k6

ceasar2k6 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have a 100w usb-c charger, so once my unit arrived, I'll test it.

7. rwzeitgeist

rwzeitgeist Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    None of the documents I found distinguish between the power needed to charge a 7x60 versus what is needed simultaneously operate and charge it.

The "Dell Commercial Docking Compatibility" document says in a footnote, "Precision 7000 series mobile workstations require more power than 130W ...", then goes on to say, "The WD19DC / WD19DCS dock comes with a dual USB-C connector that provides up to 210W of power delivery, so you no longer need an additional power adapter."

That suggests the minimum power needed to charge and run a 7x60 is above 130W.

There is also a very real possibility that a 7x60 will refuse to draw power from sources that don't implement at least USB 3.2.

8. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone using a USB-C to Displayport? I want to look at trying to connect my monitors via USB-C Daisy Chain instead of plugging in the mDP and HDMI. my monitors support DP 1.2. If so, any cable recommendations? I have a WD19DC on order, but that is 6 weeks out.

9. jack574

jack574 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Interestingly, I didn't find this. I disabled HG in the BIOS, and could only see the Nvidia GPU in Task Manager (as expected). I then re-enabled HG in the BIOS and rebooted, and could then straight away see both intel and Nvidia GPUs in Task Manager:

upload_2021-8-3_11-42-54.png

thock likes this.
  10. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I could see both cards fine after rebooting, but the system was just using the Nvidia card. With no monitors hooked up. Using the Nvidia Control Panel, under Desktop, check Display GPU Activity Icon in the Notification Area. This will show you what processes are using the Nvidia card. After reenabling Hybrid Graphics, all processes were using the Nvidia card (no external screens hooked up). I then had to do the uninstall of the Nvidia driver I noted earlier.

upload_2021-8-3_6-49-33.png

Here is the icon in the notificaiton area. Colorful when active.

upload_2021-8-3_6-50-6.png

I use this to see what apps are using the Nvidia Card. Right now I have external monitors hooked up to the mDP and HDMI and lid closed so everything is using it.