The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jack574

jack574 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Do displays connected to a dock that is connected to the USB-C ports count as connected "via the USB-C ports"?

2. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I
    For me it is easier to uninstall the reinstall the driver to get the system to automatically use the Intel Card oppose to try and set each app manually. Right now if using with no external monitors, I'd rather apps default to the Intel and then manually set an app to use the Nvidia Card using the Windows Graphics Settings or the Nvidia Control Panel.

I think what you are doing is a work around since there may be a driver hiccup issue.

3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes.

4. jack574

Reputations:
    Thank you.

Can I ask, what is the practical meaning of a particular display running off either the intel or the nvidia graphics?

What I mean is that if for example my internal display is running off the intel graphics, but displaying a program that uses the nvidia card, what does that mean?

5. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    In this case, the NVIDIA GPU does the 3D rendering and the flushes the output over to the Intel GPU framebuffer for display on the screen. The NVIDIA GPU isn't doing the output directly, it is basically just providing background rendering services. (If there are no apps using it and it has nothing to do, it should be able to power off, which saves you power and battery life — the whole point of this system.)

thock likes this.
  6. jack574

Reputations:
    Interesting, thanks a lot.

I have a USB-C dock with 3 monitors attached running off the Nvidia GPU, and the internal display running off the intGPU. (Hybrid on, and Discrete Graphics... on)

Testing with a particular program, I have set it with the Nvidia control panel to use the integrated GPU.
    If I use the program on the internal display, the Nvidia GPU is not used at all.
    If I use it on an external display, the integrated GPU does the bulk of the work, but I can see the Nvidia GPU is doing a bit. Presume the intGPU is doing the rendering, and just passing the output via the Nvidia GPU to display.

Is my understanding correct?

7. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Yes, this rendering passthrough can go both ways.

Apps that do GPU accelerated work will "attach" to a particular GPU. The options in the NVIDIA control panel or in Windows Settings "advanced graphics" area can be used to "guide" it to your GPU of preference but depending on how the app works, that "guidance" may not apply and it could attach to whichever GPU was driving the display that it first opened up on. That can "stick" after it is moved to a different display — some apps may be sophisticated enough to switch GPUs but I'd say most are not and Windows does not do any enforcement of this. So, that could lead to what you are seeing, an app "using" the Intel GPU but running on an NVIDIA GPU-powered display, or the reverse, an app "using" the NVIDIA GPU but running on an Intel GPU-powered display (even after the NVIDIA GPU-powered display has been disconnected).

8. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    I was looking at the keyboard for unused keys and some options occurred to me.

CE and +/- are obvious candidates but turns out they can't be remapped because these are really just "Delete" and "F9" keys, and they can't be mapped separately.
    Numpad "*" and "/" seem like candidates for remapping if you don't use them for the calculator functions very often. (I'd say that I use them often enough that it'd be annoying to have them missing.)
    ...Then, I spotted the right "alt" and "ctrl" keys. I never use these. They can be mapped separately from the ones on the left. I think that I'm going to try mapping them to "Home" and "End" and see how I like that.

9. jack574

Reputations:
    Thanks. Really appreciate the explanation!

So this is an example of the guidance not working?
    upload_2021-8-3_12-52-56.png

10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    So, the NVIDIA control panel can set what the app should use as the "default" GPU. Apps aren't required to use the "default" GPU, they can pick a specific GPU, and there's nothing that you can do to override that other than outright disabling the NVIDIA GPU through Device Manager or something.