The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I tested my system on battery power for the first time today. I didn't run it all the way down but I ran it for a while and Windows was reporting that I'd get about 2.1 hours draining from 90% charge. (This is with hybrid graphics off, turbo boost disabled, and 80% screen brightness.)

[Edit]
    Also while I'm doing a general update, I'll throw out there:
    I've been doing my main work off of this system all week and it has been 100% stable with three drives installed... as long as I don't have a PCIe4 drive in the PCIe4 slot, it seems to be happy.

zhongze12345 and alaskajoel like this.
  2. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As another point of reference for you, I used my 7760 this afternoon on battery for about 3 hours. Here is my config:

- 7760, 4k120hz display, i7-11800h, A4000, 128GB DDR4-3200, 2TB 970 Evo
    - Display is run at 1080p60hz using integer scaling. Brightness set at 50%.
    - Hybrid graphics disabled (only using dGPU.)
    - Windows power mode set to "better battery"
    - I was strictly using MS Word with YouTube videos playing, audio played through the speakers and HWINFO64 logging. Outlook, Dropbox & OneDrive were syncing in the background, but without any new files being downloaded or uploaded.

Under these conditions, HWINFO64 reported an average discharge rate of 30W. I started at 95% battery and after exactly 3 hours I had 11% remaining. Average dGPU power consumption is reported at 16W. GPU core primarily stays at 210MHz under these conditions with occasional bursts. Average core frequency was 233MHz.

With everything closed (machine idling at the desktop), backlight at minimum and in battery saver mode the discharge rate drops as low as -19W. This is still while in dGPU mode (hybrid graphics disabled) and the dGPU reports 13w consumed in this condition. I can test in Hybrid graphics mode if there is interest, but since I will only very rarely use hybrid graphics, I did not care to see how it influences my battery life.

zhongze12345 likes this.
  3. zhongze12345

zhongze12345 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Forgot to mention that I had my screen at 0% brightness

4. zhongze12345

Reputations:
    Wow, that's a lot better battery life than mine.
    While web browsing (no videos):
    iGPU on
    Windows on battery saver
    Screen at 1080p 60hz and brightness at minimum
    Using bluetooth headphones
    Wifi on
    No peripherals attached other than headphones
    Turbo boost on for CPU
    Dell power management set to cool
    System power consumption averages around 34 watts, giving me 160 minutes of battery life.
    Not quite sure why my battery life is worse than others, the i9 averages at 6.5 watts with turbo on, and 4 watts with turbo off which isn't much. The power usage does sometimes drop down to 17 watts, but that's pretty rare. Maybe the dGPU is taking up more power than what is reported.

5. zhongze12345

Reputations:
    Funny. Power consumption with dGPU only mode is lower than with iGPU enabled. I can get a bit over 3 hours with the same settings as the previous post. Looks like the GPU power was being misreported.
    If anybody has the time, could you please test battery life with the iGPU enabled, and check to see if the dGPU consumes power when not used?

alaskajoel likes this.
  6. ccvortex

ccvortex Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Can someone post their ThrottleStop settings so I can get a good starting point for mine please.

7. ccvortex

Reputations:
    EDIT: Someone with the i9 that is.

8. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I just released Dell Fan Management, version 3.0 beta 2.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-in-dell-laptops.833340/page-11#post-11111058

This release can read the fan speeds in the Precision 7X60. (Fan control is not yet possible, controls will not do anything to the fan behavior. Thermal setting control works though...)

I played around with "Quiet" mode vs "Optimized" mode. "Quiet" reduced the fan speed by around 300 RPM when I had some moderate work going on. With a light workload it caused the fan speed to drop from around 1,000 RPM to 0 RPM. Overall, the automatic fan control is much more granular than in previous systems. Prior systems had certain speeds that it would stick to and it was pretty obvious when it changed speed. (0 RPM, 2400 RPM, 3000 RPM, ...) This system will gradually change speed and I've seen it slowly ramping up from 1,000 RPM to 4,000 RPM and back down. I haven't yet had time to play with manipulating the fan speed but I'm hoping to start playing with that next week.

9. zhongze12345

Reputations:
    Undervolting is locked for all 11th gen intel cpus. There might be a registry trick that lets you get around locked undervolting.

10. ccvortex

Reputations:
    That sucks

zhongze12345 likes this.