The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. LampyDave

LampyDave Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As another data point, I have done the same as you with F10 - F12, but I do use the right Ctrl key, so have mapped the 'Calc' key to PageUp and 'Num Lock' to PageDn. That gives me Page Up and Down keys that are above and below each other which works for my tiny brain :)

In case I am using an external keyboard or need to toggle the Number Pad (I never do, but y'know) I have started using PowerToys keyboard mapping instead of SharpKeys. That way I can toggle the re-mapping on and off instantly without registry / log out / login etc.

P.S. This doesn't stop me being cross that CE and +/- are not re-mappable as per post
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...60-owners-thread.836381/page-29#post-11108953

thock, zhongze12345 and Aaron44126 like this.
  2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Didn't realize this was a thing. I will check it out.

I tried mapping "Calc" to the power button. SharpKeys allows it but it doesn't seem to actually work. (I use the power button to shut off the screen. But this doesn't work if the screen is locked in my system, because it seems that the power button is disabled while it is expecting a fingerprint, unless you hold it down for a *long* time.)

LampyDave likes this.
  3. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    @alaskajoel Would you say the noise on this is better than the Legion 5 17 inch and Legion 5 Pro? Would you say it's worth the extra $1500 cost given the similar performance but primarily better build quality?

4. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The build quality is definitely better than the L5 17", but really not that much better than the L5P. Structural rigidity and materials quality is unquestionably an improvement over the L5 17" but you pay for it in weight. The L5P materials feel much closer in quality to the 7760 than you would expect for a $1500 difference between the two. The solid build and heft of the 7760 gives me the impression of better quality, but I can see someone else feeling the opposite and liking the more svelte look and feel of the L5P.

I was never quite able to cope with the fan noise on the L5 17". It might have just been my device, but something caused it to whistle slightly at any RPM. It was more egregious at higher RPM. The L5P is very close to the 7760, but I still give the edge to the Dell. The big difference to me is at low RPM. I could always hear the soft hum of the L5P in my quiet office even at the lowest RPM. I can't even tell when the Dell fans are running at low speed or turned off. I typed about 10,000 words this afternoon with the 7760 on my lap and the only audible indication I had that it was even on was the spacebar squeaking. No coil whine, no fan noise. It was wonderful.

At high speed, the L5P is higher pitched to my ear, but I don't find it particularly offensive. The 7760 in contrast sounds more like a desk fan on low speed. Just the sound of air moving. The L5P is excellent but I still give a slight edge to the 7760.

In terms of an outright performance comparison, the 7760 is obviously a bad value compared to either the L5P or L5 17". The 7760 costs more than twice as much as the L5 17" 3060 and the two are basically identical in the benchmarks I've run. The 4k120hz display of the 7760 is beautiful compared to the 17" 1080p of the L5, but it is arguably wasted on me when I run it at 1080p + integer scaling.

If I'm honest with myself, there was no way the L5P or AMD L5 17" was ever going to replace the 51M as my daily. The L5P is beautiful and an excellent performer, but Windows display scaling infuriates me on the 1600P display and I have really grown to love the 17" size. I've wanted to move back to 128GB of ram for a while (I loved it with the 51M R1, gave it up for the R2 and regret it.) I need to be able to use an eGPU and with the Alienware graphics amplifier looking EOL, TB4 is my best hope for the future.

With all that said, I've already started the process of moving to the 7760 as my daily driver without even a second thought given. Some of the other benefits of the 7760 are also nice to have: better I/O, extensive SSD space with a hot swap NVMe door, fingerprint + IR camera, better speakers, availability of docks / chargers everywhere in my office, etc. Admittedly, I am not very price sensitive. Someone else would very likely draw the same conclusions I have but decide the extra $1500 isn't worth it but I think it's incredible. I go through a lot of laptops trying to find "the one" and I can't recall a time I was this enamored with one. The build quality is phenomenal for a 17" workstation, it has TB4, supports 128GB of RAM, meets my mobile performance requirements for CPU+GPU and the acoustics are the best I've experienced on a laptop in recent memory.

...now if only I can find a way to lube up this spacebar.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  5. ceasar2k6

ceasar2k6 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I think I am confused on something..... Is there an issue with a pcie 4.0 lot? I plant to remove base 256gb ssd and install sabrent 2tb pcie 4 ssd...
    ty

6. alittleteapot

alittleteapot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a Precision 7760 with a Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB in the PCI 4.0 / Quick Release slot, and have had no issues with it for about a week now. Note that I am booting from the stock 256GB drive in one of the other slots, and I haven't changed the mode from default RAID or reinstalled the OS.

7. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    that is good news. Does the Samsung Magician software see the 980 Pro? Is it the latest firmware on the 980?.

And what Bios is the 7760 on?

8. hoxuantu

hoxuantu Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I tested my system (i7-11850H + A2000 + 32Gb RAM) in SPECviewperf 2020 v2.0 and got the results as follows:

SPECviewperf 2020 1st Run.jpg

The results are surprising when I compare them with results of an HP Zbook Studio G7 with RTX 5000 GPU. The performance is pretty close
    (Link: https://www.spec.org/gwpg/gpc.data/...xQ-2K/results_20210611T085537/gpcResults.html)

Anyone who is interested in SPECviewperf 2020 v2.0 benchmark can download here:
    https://www.spec.org/gwpg/gpc.static/vp2020info.html

The SPECviewperf 2020 benchmark is the worldwide standard for measuring the graphics performance of professional applications running under the OpenGL and Direct X application programming interfaces. The viewsets (or benchmarks) represent graphics content and behavior from actual applications, without having to install the applications themselves. These viewsets include 3D Max, CATIA, Creo, Energy, Maya, Medical, Siemens NX, and Solidworks.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  9. alittleteapot

alittleteapot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have the latest BIOS - not exactly sure which version, but it's fully patched. Because it's in RAID mode and not AHCI, the Samsung Magician software can't do anything with the drive except detect that it's a 980 Pro.

10. jack574

jack574 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is weird....

Last time I looked in these options, there was "Cuda" as an option.

Any ideas why it's not there now?

I'm using hybrid graphics with discrete output mode off, but I thought I was last time I looked too. It's possible though I had hybrid graphics off.

Thanks

upload_2021-8-6_9-17-48.png

Attached Files: