The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Could someone with non-ECC memory spare a moment to post their AIDA64 memory latency benchmark result, indicating the module type/freq/latency? Many thanks.

2. Razibus

Razibus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do you have a SSD with a heatsink? I am planning to buy one so I am wondering if it may help and if it would fit in the 7760.

3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm just using the "heatsink" plates that came supplied with the system. There is not a lot of spare Z-height. I haven't tried to put a bigger heatsink but I'd be surprised if any of the regular-sized ones fit.

I found it odd that the two PCIe3 drive slots came with a heatsink with thermal pads on the top (so that heat can flow out to the chassis? I'm not sure if it actually touches) but the PCIe4 drive slot heatsink did not have these. You'd think that one would be the one that needs the most help staying cool.

Razibus likes this.
  4. Razibus

Razibus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok, thanks. So the answer is no need for a heatsink since there is already one integrated in the system and an additional one is probably not going to fit.

Otherwise, interesting thoughts but puzzling. A start would be to monitor closely the temperature of the SSDs, perhaps they are shutting down on purpose to avoid overheating? Adding thermal pads on the top of the PCIe4 drive slot heatsink should not be too difficult. Is the PCIe4 drive slot the one with the quick access door? I am wondering if it could be the reason for not having thermal pads.

5. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have a few previous posts on the SSD temps. My 7760 OEM 2TB in Gen 4 slot gets up to 65 degrees C. I now have a block under the back of the computer to raise it a little and it hovers around 60 degrees in light use. I have not checked recently on heavier use. My 7710 runs around 42 degrees on the NVMe drives (970 pro and 960 pro).

Razibus likes this.
  6. bklawton

bklawton Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Even with a block elevating the chassis and room fan continually circulating air around my office, my Gen4 slot is running significantly hotter than the others as well. Currently with very light usage, it's at 54 degrees C while the others are all at 42. Without the added elevation, it was in the mid 60s. I'm beginning to wonder if this is going to lead to longer term issues...

7. ceasar2k6

ceasar2k6 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    try #1 . test passed ram but HD failed and keyboard backlight works but keyboard doesnt... i appeared to have recommenced things correctly, but i guess i go back in

(I did not have to unplug keyboard when installing ram, i just gently put it on side)

8. ceasar2k6

ceasar2k6 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Update: reseated SSD and it works. keyboard had to have latch closed... works... keyboard lattice good but 1 spot... not sure why... dont want to redoit right now...

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
  9. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Has anyone gotten a 7560 with a 4K display yet? I wonder if they have finally moved to the 40-pin, 0.5mm-pitch connectors that most 1080p 144 Hz displays are on now.

10. jack574

jack574 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Deleted

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021