The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    On the subject of noise, today I am getting a squeak from the left hinge if I adjust the laptop screen angle. Not a big deal but also the first time I've had any sort of hinge noise from one of these systems...

2. alittleteapot

alittleteapot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looks like I'm going to join the "Drive disappearance" club. My 2 TB 980 Pro (in the single fast slot underneath the removable cover) disappeared completely this morning (RAID Mode On, boot drive is 256GB default drive). Rebooting several times did not make it un-disappear... running the onboard BIOS diagnostics for about fifteen seconds, did, as it indicated it was testing two drives. I don't believe I lost any data, it's just weird. We might be expecting another BIOS update on this.
    Edit: It disappeared again... let me change the bay and see how this works.
    Edit 2: Changing the bay to a non-PCIE 4.0 brought it back. Note that I never updated the 980 Pro BIOS from default since... I wasn't getting Win 10 to boot in non-RAID mode, and it wasn't too critical.... for the last two weeks, it just worked.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  3. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Has anyone submitted a support case on the drive disappearing? I wonder if Dell is aware of it.

4. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'll raise you one...

My Sabrent Rocket Q4, now installed in a PCIe3 slot, disappeared again today. It was not during normal operation like some of my other drive disappearances. I rebooted the PC and when I got back to the Windows desktop, I immediately noticed the drive was gone. Rebooted once again and checked the BIOS and it was not listed there either. I fully powered off the system and then powered it back on, and the drive was back.

I had been doing some data shuffling before I rebooted the system so the drive was running hot. (Don't know if it matters that the drive had recently been through a "workout".)

Prior to this it was stable with no disappearances for about a week. (I previously only had problems when it was in the PCIe4 slot.)

I have not yet contacted Dell. Just don't really have time to deal with it right now. It's not causing me too much bother so I'm OK waiting to see if this is resolved in one of the next few BIOS updates. I did check to see if my Sabrent Rocket Q4 has a firmware update available, and it does not.

alittleteapot likes this.
  5. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Maybe getting the 980 on latest firmware with Samsung Magician will resolve.

Switching to AHCI:
    1. Suspend BitLocker
    2. From the desktop, hold "Shift" while selecting "Restart" from the start menu.
    3. A boot options menu will appear.
    4. Select “Trouble Shoot”
    5. Select “Advanced startup options”
    6. Select “Startup Settings”
    7. At the Screen “Restart to change Windows options such as:” Select “Restart”
    8. The system reboots
    9. At the Dell logo, hit "F2" to go to BIOS and change the AHCI/RAID mode. Then exit the BIOS.
    10. When Windows starts, it will show the "Advanced startup options" menu; Select safe mode.
    11. After Windows boots to safe mode and complete loading, reboot - to normal mode.

alittleteapot likes this.
  6. alittleteapot

Reputations:
    Thanks for your guide - I updated my drive to the latest firmware version now. I am going to keep it in the current place for right now, but will try again with the PCIE 4.0 bay again in the future, thanks again.

7. alittleteapot

Reputations:
    I switched out and patched, I'll keep monitoring... but hopefully this will smooth things out.

8. ceasar2k6

ceasar2k6 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Is anyone using sabrent rocket 4 plus as their main boot drive in the pcie 4 slot? I want to use it as my main drive (right now trying to install windows boot disk, but it's not downloading)

9. rwzeitgeist

rwzeitgeist Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I used Clonezilla to clone the original Windows partition from the original 256MB drive to a USB drive, then copied the cloned image to a partition on my 2TB Samsung drive. If you're willing to live with the Dell image this might be much quicker than downloading and reinstalling.

10. ceasar2k6

ceasar2k6 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    i already downloaded and installed image on an USB. so, that's np.. just gonna need to install ram and new ssd, tomorrow when my pry tool arrives. lets hope i dont mess up plastic tabs