The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7720 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by BillDownTheStreet, Sep 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    On Windows 10, Settings -> Networking and Internet -> Airplane Mode (on the left pane). I get a screen that looks just like this one with the NFC toggle. This is on Precision 7530. If you are on Windows 7, you will not have a settings pane like this to centrally and individually disable wireless devices.

2. nepO

nepO Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am on Windows 8.1. It allows me to individually control all devices except NFC. Maybe you can do it because you have a 7x30? It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has a 7x10/7x20.

3. Chin_Chan_Lee

Chin_Chan_Lee Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I know we can use an M.2 NVMe SSD, but is it bootable from this laptop? (I read that some motherboards don't support booting from those.) If not, I guess I'll just get a normal 2.5in SATA SSD.

EDIT-
    On the Dell site, it says only UEFI BIOS systems support booting from a PCIe NVME SSDs, while the latest 7720 BIOS update says it "Updated UEFI variable input validation." So I take it that the Precision M7720 does in fact support booting from a PCIe NVMe SSD.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  4. EdgeDC

EdgeDC Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, absolutely - 100%. Just in the past week, I finally carved out time to get my new 7720 built out from scratch. It's booting directly to one of my M.2 NVMe SSDs, right out of the UEFI BIOS config, into Windows 10 Enterprise R1803. I also updated to the latest 1.12.2 BIOS before kicking off the final "production" install. No problems so far. :)

Chin_Chan_Lee likes this.
  5. Chin_Chan_Lee

Reputations:
    Woops I edited my message before even checking for replies. Coming from the M6600 owner's thread, questions can sometimes take weeks to get a reply, so I didn't expect such a quick response. lol.
    Thank you!

6. EdgeDC

EdgeDC Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Understood! I have an M6500 as well, so I know what you mean. Since the 7200 is much more recent, there's a lot more "active" users of it, so you're likely to get better responses on it now. Besides, I subscribe to this thread, I got the email alert, and happen to be online anyway... so I figured I'd jump on to offer a response. :)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  7. Chin_Chan_Lee

Reputations:
    Good point! Just updated my BIOS as well, and will probably help others wherever I can as well. Much appreciated!

8. JDDart

JDDart Newbie

Reputations:
    I've been using a Precision M6500 for years, but it's worn out and now I'm considering upgrading to a Precision 7720, so I have a couple of questions. The two things I love about my M6500 are the keyboard and the display panel. Does anyone know how the keyboard of the 7720 compares to the M6500. If the keyboard sucks, then I'll have to reach further back to my ThinkPad days and buy Lenovo's retro ThinkPad external keyboard. The second question is the more important one. The M6500 panel is beautiful, with accurate colors, and great contrast. I realize sadly that I can no longer obtain a 1920x1200 display, but I still need fairly accurate color rendition. I can only afford the FHD 1920x1080 panel with the Radeon Pro WX 4130. Does anyone have experience with this panel/GPU combination in terms of actual gamut and contrast ratio? Is it the same panel used in the Precision 7100, because Notebookcheck did a great review of the 7710 FHD panel, but I can't find a similarly detailed review for the 7720 FHD panel. I'm using the M6500 workstation for processing panoramic photos, so I also need half-decent horsepower for processing and stitching complex High Dynamic Range photos, often involving 70 or 80 individual high-res shots. I tried a refurbished M6800 a couple of weeks ago, but it wasn't much faster than my aging M6500, so here I am considering the 7200. I have no doubts about its power, but I'm concerned about the display. Any help would be appreciated. Dell here in Canada is offering the 7720 at nearly half off until October 22.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  9. Sparkybruce

Sparkybruce Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi JDDart,
    Which screen option do you have in the M6500. I had a Covet 6500 with the edge to edge RGB LED screen and it was great. The screen on my M6600 is the 10 bit RGB LED 1080 screen which is probably the brightest one of all my laptops. My 6700 has the same RGB screen just with the edge to edge glass in front of it and it is noticeably less bright. My 7720's both have the 4K screens which are meant to be as bright and as colourful at the RGB LED screens , but for HD content the RGBLED screen on the 6600 is almost HDR like.
    Keyboard wise I'm afraid that I do far prefer the original 65/66/6700 keyboards (and I do miss the illuminated trackpad of the 6500.) It's not that the keys on the 7720 are bad - just not what I'm used to and that is after just over a years use.

10. JDDart

JDDart Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the WUXGA RGB LED panel with my M6500, although it's not edge to edge. The best thing about it is the pure whites and blacks, once it's calibrated. I'm hoping the 7720 FHD panel is similar. Sounds like I might be ordering that Lenovo Thinkpad keyboard, but I'll wait and try the 7720 first

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.