The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7720 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by BillDownTheStreet, Sep 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lelepanz

Lelepanz Newbie

Reputations:
    Goodmorning from Italy.
    I received my first refurbished dell precision 7720 from Uk.
    i7-6820HQ
    32 Gb memory
    Nvidia Quadro P4000
    512 SSD

Seams to be everything Ok. I'll check tomorrow with solidworks.
    maybe I have a problem with the little stick (It doesn't work).

2. iieeann

iieeann Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Finally figured out how to get G-Sync out from TB16. Both the DisplayPorts from TB16 will NOT output G-Sync, not sure why. Read from somewhere about USB-C to DP connection, and i get 1 cable to try out, and indeed G-Sync monitor is detected. Why on earth not working directly from the TB16 DP port is unknown.

The good part is i finally get G-Sync to work. However the bad part is... I also need the only Thunderbolt/USB-C port for my network card, so i have to choose either one, which in this case I have to choose the network card. At the end i still cannot use the G-Sync function :(. Even the new TB18DC with dual Thunderbolt3 inputs only has single miserable pathetic Thunderbolt3 output.

This is the cable i used to test on TB16.
    [​IMG]

3. Ravenik

Ravenik Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, I couldn't find a contact to Dell to ask about hinges durability. I want to know how many cycles (lid open/lid close) would hinges withstand approximately? I open/close lid about 10 times a day. If need, I might restrict myself. Dell Precision 7720. I found somewhere on the web that some Lenovo Thinkpad was tested to withstand minimum 30 000 open/close cycles. I was unable to find corresponding information about Dell Precision 7720.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  4. brodierbach

brodierbach Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everybody,
    i just tried to replace my Radeon pro in my Precision 7720.
    I ordered an nVidia Heatsink and fan (ref 55MXD) and a HP Quadro P4200 mxm card (from a Zbook 17 G5).

I replaced the card, but without the Intel VGA card activated, the screen didn't dislay anything.
    So, i actived the intel integrated card.
    The DELL starts, but the P4200 is "unknow" in the BIOS.
    Under Windows :
    I modded last nVidia quadro inf. drivers. The installation worked, but the card is stopped by Windows ERROR 43

I tried with Windows 7 and Windows 10. Same result.
    Do you think a vBios modification could help ?^^

Thx !

5. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    With an HP-sourced card, you most likely need to flash a Dell P4200 vBIOS onto it.

6. brodierbach

brodierbach Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,
    thx for your answer ! Yes i was almost sure about this...
    I looked into the TechPowerUP VGA BIOS database, but i didn't find any P4200 vBios.
    Do you think this card could work on a Zbook 17 G2 ?

Best regards !

7. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    P4200 doesn’t have own vbios chip on board.
    It uses part of the zBook’s system bios.
    You should have read this prior buying P4200.
    P4000 is on the other hand with own vbios chip and can be flashed with Dell’s vbios.

8. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Wasn't thinking / didn't remember that the P4200 is from the Precision 7730, after Dell switched away from MXM. There likely isn't a Dell vBIOS available, I doubt that flashing on Dell's DGFF P4200 vBIOS would work (if this were even possible).
    @mirage_bg is right, HP normally puts some important stuff for the card in the system BIOS which is why HP-sourced cards are trouble when trying to upgrade other systems. Without the ability to flash the vBIOS it will probably only work in the system that it was intended for.

9. brodierbach

brodierbach Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,
    i didn't knew that ! Thanks for the answer :p

Regards.

10. Shink0

Shink0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone using a USB 3.0 Capture Device for streaming purposes?

I have a Razer Ripsaw HD, and it seems to run horrible (Stuttering) through the USB 3.0 Ports. If I use a USB-C Convert -> USB 3.0, it runs better. Using OBS, it appears there are no frames missed to Encoding, or Rendering Lag. From what I can gather it looks like a USB throughput issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.