The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7740/ 7540 specs / release date

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by kvandel, Mar 1, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hopper82

Hopper82 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I think that the issue is all here. Different ram timings/spec normally brings to bios error (even if theoretically it should adapt all the banks to the slower one).

Stalafin likes this.
  2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Indeed, if you are going to keep the modules that came in the system then you need to make sure that the modules that you order have the same timings. If you mix timings, at best you end up with modules running at a slower speed than they should be (if the BIOS can find a set of timings that both modules support which doesn't always happen), or at worst you end up with a system that does not work.

va123, Stalafin and Hopper82 like this.
  3. Stalafin

Stalafin Newbie

Reputations:
    Well, that settles it. I jumped to conclusion based off what I read on using these RAM sticks in previous generation models.

Can you guys point me to a guide on how to access the rest of the memory slots? Might give it a shot in the future.

4. Aaron44126

Reputations:
  5. va123

va123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    can someone explain to me why I do not have the option to set battery charge level on the long life 97W 3yr warranty battery? on my 7540
    That was one of the things I really liked about the power management on dells, and wish that every mfg would let you set boundary for charge of battery, esp when you know that you will have it plugged in to AC for a long periods of time. AND the fact that you can not just flip the laptop and take out the battery with ease like the old models... so why Dell?

It has been proven that charging most modern batteries to 80% is the most optimal, so why not let me have a range ? but to completely disable it is stupid IMO

6. va123

va123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    One thing I would advise is not to try to pull at the vent area's as Dell has it, but just start from the back and always have a plastic tool to pop the back and work toward the front... I did it based on how they had instructions on my first time, and I can see stress marks on the paint on the edge of those vents... They could have put numbers to show the direction from which you work your way. And my experience working from the back of the laptop toward the front is best and the cover pops at each area effortlessly

7. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    This has been the case for many generations. On the "regular" battery you can set these limits, but on the long-warranty battery you cannot. I suspect that the batteries are actually the same but they force a slow charge configuration for the long-warranty battery. Not sure why they would also eliminate the option to set the upper and lower charge bounds, though.

8. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    Is the option not present in BIOS?

9. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    If you have the extended warranty battery installed, most or all of the battery options disappear from the BIOS setup.

jeremyshaw likes this.
  10. ElectricC0wb0y

ElectricC0wb0y Newbie

Reputations:
    I had problems properly seating my two DDR3 3200 sticks.

The first time it would not Post
    The second time seemed all find but randomly froze once or twice a day
    The third time it failed internal diagnostic checks and was unstable
    The fourth time only 16GB came up
    The fifth time it would not Post
    The sixth time was the charm and its been running great ever since.

This was the under keyboard slots. Maybe the slots on the bottom are not as finicky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.