The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7740/ 7540 specs / release date

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by kvandel, Mar 1, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. va123

va123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Their is no bios settings for battery with the extended warranty one, as Aaron44126 mentioned. Which is a total shame, having it plugin and having it always stay at 100% will degrade the battery much faster then setting it between 80-90% cut off charge, what is dell thinking? I do not know. I guess its a waste of money on this upgrade, and I could have gone with regular 97wh and be able to control that with ease and make my battery last longer, and then use that money for a new battery when it comes.

What qualifies a replacement of battery anyway? when do they say the battery is too warn out and justifies a replacement?

Code:
    All need to be at 0? according to a thread on tenforums
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStorV
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStorAVC\StartOverride
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\StartOverride  << this one was set to 3, setting to 0 did nothing still no boot
    Also on another note those who wish to switch from intel Raid to AHCI, and I believe their are some pro/cons to both, if you are not doing raid one con I found is that Samsung software will not show the drive properly with all options when you have it in AHCI, for example I can not see anything else besides performance test, I can not set provisioning or other stuff.

and I tried the steps that are on the net, with the safe mode, on for boot and that did not work at all, I went to registry to do the steps, all but the last step on this site where set right but the last one

Another separate question, which WinPE do you guys recommend? I tried some of my others that worked, but I had issues with them recognizing the 4k display and just did not work, neither did plunging in external monitor

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2019
    microdou likes this.
  2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Switching from RAID to AHCI is easy.

From the desktop,
    Click Start button, power icon, and hold shift while selecting "Restart".
    Some options come up, pick "Advanced startup settings".
    When the system reboots, hit F2 to enter BIOS setup and switch from RAID to AHCI.
    When you restart you will get the Windows advanced startup options screen. Pick safe mode.
    After safe mode boots once, reboot to normal mode.

The registry stuff is only needed for Windows 7. Windows 8 and up can switch if you just boot safe mode once immediately after making the change.

jeremyshaw likes this.
  3. va123

Reputations:
    I tried that with setting windows to boot to safe mode with msconfig area, but after I go and chance in bios, instead of going to safe mode , it goes to auto fix boot up as if windows can not boot. I did the registry hack for the legacy boot menu to select safe mode too, I can not get that to pop up

If I go and change to raid, and reboot it will go to safe mode no problem , until I go to msconfig and change it...

Maybe my issue is I have cloned ssd in the system, and after switching to ahci it's selecting that drive ? Will dig into it later

4. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Follow the steps I said exactly. No msconfig, no registry hack. Just hold "Shift" when selecting reboot and select advanced boot options from the menu, then immediately go to the BIOS and make the change.

5. va123

Reputations:
    did not work got BSOD

your pc ran into problem and needs to restart
    stop code: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

does that a 2nd time then goes into auto repair, and gives me the option screen to continue, use a device, troubleshoot, turn off your pc... etc
    and I tried a number of things

also I went and disabled from bios my cloned drive so it does not get mixed up so I do not have issues with that along with just changing to achi

6. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Not sure what to suggest then :-\
    I've done it this way on over a dozen PCs without any trouble. (Going both ways, AHCI to RAID and RAID to AHCI.)

I do recommend removing or wiping your old SSD if you have cloned. I have indeed seen Windows get confused after a clone about which drive to mount if the old one is still present in the system. (You will probably need to use diskpart or a third-party tool to wipe it. Disk Management will not let you delete the hidden partitions, like the EFI one.) It sounds like you've already tried switching to AHCI with the original drive disabled, though?

7. va123

Reputations:
    this is all with the original drive, I have not tried to boot with the cloned one yet,
    I tried to turn off secure boot, but that did nothing

If I go back to raid everything goes back to normal

I will see if I can do with the shift restart option and refresh, and maybe keep my files just let it fix windows stuff, also did the diag for the start up and of course I have never seen that to be able to repair any boot up issues... the amount of time I'm spending on this I could have reinstalled windows probably twice, and if that is the case thats fine I have not gone too far in this system with apps and personal files that I would lose a lot of time on installs :/

So I guess this is a good warning to others, if you never pretty much plan to do raid, just stick with the true and proven AHCI, and it does make a difference some software if they do not see AHCI like Samnsung you can not do the provisioning or other features

I am going to see if my clone drive boots up at all, my 970 evo plus 1tb, and I have intel 660p 1tb as storage drive (yet to install it into laptop), so I want to get things setup and probably will just leave this 256gb out, maybe sell or throw it into another system later

----update -----
    So get this, clone drive worked under raid on, this requred to remove the original ssd nvme drive, even disabling it in bios does not disable it, in the devices... maybe a bug?

So the clone drive still did BSOD switching to AHCI

So I wanted to do fresh install, switching to AHCI my regular usb fresh windows install 1903 would not be recognized all of a sudden, but under raid on, setting it does???? (this usb was larger 16 or 32gb)
    So lucky I have the dell install usb (8gb) their usb was recognized just fine...
    what kind of BS is this...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  8. Selnit

Selnit Newbie

Reputations:
    I upgraded my 7540 with Samsung 32GB RAM and it works fine. (32+8 GB RAM now)

9. va123

Reputations:
    Should I call Dell about my 7540, the install USB, does not install any actual windows 10 drivers, I have to install a lot, only the "dell apps" and my system came with windows 1903 pre installed, this USB stick installs 1803.....???????? This is what they charge the $23??

10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    This is how it is... They basically give you a plain Windows 10 installer. You can use the tool here to create a Windows 10 1903 USB install drive.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

It is not too big a deal to install the drivers. Install the Intel serial I/O driver and then either Wi-Fi or Ethernet to get the system online. Run Windows Update and it will install almost everything else automatically. Install the Thunderbolt drivers and Thunderbolt firmware, and the latest BIOS. ControlVault software if you have a fingerprint reader. I think that's about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.