The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7750/7550 release date?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Kyle, Feb 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cme685

cme685 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    15" OLEDs exist but have 17" OLEDs come out? ... if so, who is selling laptops with them?

2. Dell-Mano_G

Dell-Mano_G Company Representative

Reputations:
    There will still be a performance difference, and reason, to go to the 17" Precision mobile. The 17" has higher performing graphics cards, more robust thermal solution, more storage, an additional USB A port, and of course a larger screen.

Kyle and AlexeyAlekpekov like this.
  3. Dell-Mano_G

Dell-Mano_G Company Representative

Reputations:
    1. We have offered OLED panels, and still do today on the 5540, but as everyone knows OLED provide a great front of screen but they have issues such as image burn-in and early LED degradation. On the 7550 we are introducing a new display, the HDR600 panel shortly after launch, which uses 2D backlight and provides an excellent from of screen experience that I've been told rivals an OLED panel.
    2. The RTX6000 graphics is really not a mobile graphic solution. First off it is a 250W graphics card that just won't fit in a traditional mobile workstation. For that one company to be able to support it they have to have a very large system that also splits in half to allow for additional air flow. That is something that I just won't do.

4. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Thanks for your response. I look forward to seeing the HDR600 display in action. It also makes sense that Dell wants to maintain the traditional notebook form factor, given that the notebook with the RTX 6000 has its components in the screen block and massive cooling.

5. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    OK, I have been thinking and I have a follow-up question on this. This whole graphite-in-a-laptop thing is new to me. Are the graphite spreaders replacing the stock thermal paste compound (that goes between the CPU and heatsink, or GPU and heatsink), or maybe replacing thermal pads (around GPU memory, VRMs, etc.), or in other words, where exactly is the graphite going?

The closest thing that I have seen to this is a graphite thermal pad like this which is intended to replace the thermal compound between the CPU and heatsink. If this is what Dell is using it for, I'm pretty interested in seeing what its performance characteristics are like (compared to standard thermal compound). Also might change up the situation/strategy for those who remove their heatsink, either explicitly to repaste or for some other reason and incidentally need to repaste.

AlexeyAlekpekov likes this.
  6. AlexeyAlekpekov

AlexeyAlekpekov Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1. Why does Dell still use the extremely cheap 720p/30fps webcam in 2020, the most expensive laptop model? The 2K / 60pfs camera will be more expensive by only $ 5-6.
    2. Why is the throttling still manifested in the most expensive model 7750? Why do we have to resort to undervolting instead of installing a good and high-quality cooling system in our laptops that can handle the load?

7. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Expectations check. The days of high-end laptop CPUs being able to run unthrottled at max turbo are gone. It worked when the max turbo speed was below 4 GHz, but it is not feasible now that the core count has increased and max turbo speed is pushing above 5 GHz. It is not because the cooling system is inadequate. Though we complain about it from time to time, the cooling system in the Precision is among the best there is. It is because Intel is pushing the maximum turbo speed higher than any system of this size can hope to keep cool. The high turbo speed is for burst performance and you can expect sustained performance to be at a lower clock speed.

It is not a "problem" as long as you keep your expectations in check. The system will run at the highest clock speed that it can with the given thermal setup. The speed will be higher in a system like the Precision 7750 than it would be in a system like the Precision 5550 with the same CPU. You can nudge it higher still by undervolting (apparently not with 10th gen though, at least for now), or maybe swapping out the thermal compound, but we are reaching the point where those don't even keep the system from throttling. It's not a Dell problem. You won't find any systems in this form factor that can run max turbo unthrottled.

There are some trade-offs that could be made. Some manufacturers add giant exhaust grill things on the back of the system to further improve the cooling capability. The added weight and size is not a trade-off that Dell is willing to make in the Precision line (appropriately so, IMO).

SRom and Ionising_Radiation like this.
  8. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    I mean, we don't know that the 7750 throttles yet, so I don't think we can say that about an as-yet unreleased system.

Furthermore, to cool the highest-end Intel notebook CPU, the i9-10980HK at its maximum load requires a thermal system that can handle more than 110 W alone, not to mention the GPU. I don't think the Precisions are meant to be DTRs.

SRom likes this.
  9. AlexeyAlekpekov

AlexeyAlekpekov Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    7750 uses graphite spreaders. But graphite spreaders have extremely poor performance and mediocre performance. Therefore, the laptop starts to throttle and work slowly.

10. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    As @Aaron44126 mentioned, we don’t even know where the graphite is supposed to be, so I'm not sure if we can come to conclusions regarding the thermal performance.

AlexeyAlekpekov and SRom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.