The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision M4600 Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by afhstingray, May 26, 2011.

1. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Not for the internal panel, no.

Everything that was announced, like the WX4150, are eDP signal output and the internal panel uses LVDS and sadly this laptop doesnt support Enduro

2. S1m0n32002

S1m0n32002 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So... the best one I can get is still the firepro m5100, right?

3. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    For use as a laptop, yes thats correct. Now if its a permanent docked machine then HDMI/DP might work but I haven't seen it on the forum so as far as I know that would be uncharted territory.

4. scienceboyroy

scienceboyroy Newbie

Reputations:
    I love my M4600 (especially since I switched to this graphite thermal pad), but with my software engineering graduate coursework, it would be great to have something capable of AVX2 (or newer) CPU instructions. What's the newer equivalent of the M4600/M4800? I'm particularly interested in one that I could get refurbished on eBay for $400-500 like I did this one 6 years ago. Would it be a 7750? I read that the 55xx series has soldered-in GPU and possibly CPU; if that's true, I'd want to steer clear of them. The 77xx models are more like the M4600 in that regard, right?

Also, I've recently been having a lot of trouble getting the brightness control to work with newer (>2016) drivers the M5100 and Windows 10. I've been manually changing the KMD_EnableBrightnessInterface2 registry value to 0, but it hasn't been working. Is there something else that I'm forgetting to do? Google isn't helping a lot, as it provides a mix of solutions that don't apply (e.g. Intel/nVidia-related fixes) and solutions that aren't working (like the registry key mentioned above). Some of them mention changing the MD_EnableBrightnesslf2 value to 0 as well, but I don't have one of those; do I need to manually add it?

5. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The current successor of the M4600 is the Precision 7550. You could look at the entire 7000-series line if you want to find a used one. 75X0 is 15" and 77X0 is 17" (like Precision M6600, "big brother" of M4600). Basically...
    Precision 7510 / 7710 = 2015, Intel 6th gen CPUs, NVIDIA Maxwell
    Precision 7520 / 7720 = 2017, Intel 7th gen CPUs, NVIDIA Maxwell (15") or Pascal (17")
    Precision 7530 / 7730 = 2018, Intel 8th gen CPUs, NVIDIA Pascal
    Precision 7540 / 7740 = 2019, Intel 9th gen CPUs, NVIDIA Turing
    Precision 7550 / 7750 = 2020, Intel 10th gen CPUs, NVIDIA Turing

None of them have soldered GPUs, but 7X30 and up use DGFF cards instead of MXM cards.

scienceboyroy likes this.
  6. S1m0n32002

S1m0n32002 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    When i had the m5100 i couldn't change the brightness of the screen in windows. I used to set it at 100% in the bios and then use f.lux to change it in windows (it adds a black overlay to dim the image).
    I know that that's not a solution but that's what i used to do. I mean, you will hardly notice the reduced battery life since you'll maybe loose 5 minutes.

7. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I had that problem with the brightness with an m4000 in there, I reset the cmos battery, went into bios and played with the brightness there, ran dell support assist etc and now I can adjust brightness with keyboard buttons and windows 10. All that was done because I ordered an m5100 to upgrade and had to tear it all apart anyways, but the (green pcb) 7710 m5100 was either broken or that version of the m5100 is not compatible out of the box so had to put the m4000(blue pcb) back in. Really disappointed about the m5100 though, that extra power and vram would have made it a much better low settings gaming machine.

8. Juhantti

Juhantti Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have this M4600 with i5-2520m processor and quadro M1000 GPU. This works just fine but the cpu fan controlls are really weird and annoying. When CPU fan temperature hits 75C CPU fan starts spinning. This is ok but annoying thing is that it stops spinning when temperature reach 65C which usually happens in three seconds or so. Depending the CPU load the temp reach the 75C in twenty second and stops spinning again in three second. This is very annoying cycle and I do not understand why the fans stops spinning so early. My m6600 CPU fan stops spinning when CPU temperature reaches 45C and that would be reasonable limit in this as well because the cooling cycle would be much longer then.

Is there any possibility to force cpu fan cool the cpu to lower temperatures?

9. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    My tool "DellFanKeepAlive" is specifically made to keep the fan from ever turning off.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...anaging-the-fan-speed-in-dell-laptops.833340/

10. Juhantti

Juhantti Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks about reply. I see that you have really created pro tool to solve these issues. i am afraid I am too novice to use the tool and personally I would prefer the option that fans are sometimes also totally off. It is great that laptope is totally silent. It is just stupid that this CPU is cooled _only_ 10 degrees. What is the point in that!

Fans kick in immediately when I open one internet address and fans stop after 3 seconds. The power management decreasing the cpu to 99% did not worked for me. This i5 cpu TDP is so slow compared to my M6600 i7 cpu that if I just been able to force the fans cool this below 50 degrees the total silent period would be long enough while normal web browsing.