The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Upgrading the DGFF GPUs in the Precision 7530 & 7730

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Ionising_Radiation, Aug 6, 2019.

1. xklis

xklis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    He stated that :
    "you will not see the RTX5000 running at the full advertised power of 150W on the 7740"

Maybe he was thinking of P5200.

According to Nvidia datasheet:
    https://www.nvidia.com/content/dam/.../quadro-mobile-line-card-n18-11x8.5-r4-hr.pdf

indeed its tgp is 150W.

Moreover both RTX 4000 and RTX 5000 have same tgp (80W for max-q version and 110W for max-p version).
    So is it correct if we say that those 2,560 cuda cores on the rtx 4000 will run at higher frequencies than those 3,072 on the rtx 5000 ?

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    P5200 was also 150W TDP, IIRC. It was at least higher than the 110 it runs at. Dell does not have to run the card at that value just because the chip supports it (unfortunately :p).

Arman Shahinyan likes this.
  3. digger7_

digger7_ Newbie

Reputations:
    As for me it's much more interesting to find out what is new upgradable AMD WX7130 fo precision 7740. The only certainly known thing is that this card has got 8 gb vram, but nothing else. Should it be just one_more_time_refresh of RX480 ? Or is it sort of Vega/Navi ?

4. contradude

contradude Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is there a trick to get Dell to sell me a GPU? I've tried three times and they seem to get confused when I say I need a quadro RTX 3000 part MWDWM for a 7540 or 7530.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  5. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Right. @faenil has asked me for the RTX 3000, too, and I plan to purchase a handful of these so that I can resell them to you lot. You can find the original quote for the part below (personally identifiable information redacted, and prices in Singapore dollars).
    [​IMG]

I will have to ask Dell for a quote again, and the price might change.

Be advised that if you purchase your Precisions with no dGPU, you will have to purchase a few other parts:
    Code:
    P/N   -- Description                                           -- Quantity needed

PR6WV -- Assembly, Heatsink, W/FAN, NVE, 7530                  -- 1
    NGRJG -- Assembly, Connector, Board To Board, DGFF, 7X30       -- 2
    MX2D7 -- Cable, DGFF, Power, 7530                              -- 1
    XX602 -- Screw, M2x3, Flat Head, Machine Screw, Nickel, Silver -- 4

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    Arman Shahinyan and Div033 like this.
  6. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Make sure that you contact the spare parts department and not the general sales department and you might have more luck. (I was still surprised that they were willing to sell a GPU so it might depend on your country.) In the U.S. the spare parts number is 800-372-3355.

@Ionising_Radiation If you're contacting them again, do you think you could ask them what the price is for the RTX 5000? I don't want one but I am totally curious if it is also ridiculously cheap.

Arman Shahinyan and contradude like this.
  7. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    I was as surprised as you, and thrice over:
    1. that they were willing to sell a GPU,
    2. that they had such a new part in stock in the first place,
    3. and that the price was so low.
    Still can't really believe it.

8. contradude

contradude Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just reached out to spare parts directly but they said the part was out of stock. Guess I'll wait a week and try again. Wish there was a way for us to directly check stock.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

9. BotenRedWolf

BotenRedWolf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Are you still planning on buying a few of those RTX cards in bulk? If so, what would it cost to buy and have it shipped to US, assuming some poor availability over here, with the additional small parts for installing into a unit without previously installed dGPU?

10. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    If Dell (for some strange reason) quotes me exactly the same as what they did for my Quadro RTX 3000, then, like I mentioned, around S$300—that's about 215 USD?

I've already asked Dell about it, but they haven't gotten back to me with a quote yet.