The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision 5510 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Bokeh, Nov 24, 2015.

1. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    It's distance, not time. Specifically how far the keys travel downwards when pressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Mike F

Mike F Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Alex is right, here's the definition found online:
    TRAVEL DISTANCE
    This refers to the actual distance the keys of a keyboard have to be pushed down before the keystroke is recognized. Laptops and notebook computers, in general, have much shorter travel distances on their keyboards compared to standard desktop keyboards. Some gamers prefer keys with a shorter travel distance as they feel that it requires less effort to actuate the keys, however, others prefer a large travel distance as it makes keystrokes more distinct.

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/terms.php?t=Travel Distance

3. Phinehas

Phinehas Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Well, I have discovered that I am completely unable to play any sort of video on my new 5510. At first I thought it was a problem with the browsers. Edge woudn't function with Amazon.com at all, then I tried Firefox, then Chrome. I can't even get a YouTube video to play. I've concluded it must be a problem with the graphics cards either integrated, discrete or the interplay of them. Browser performance is pretty awful in general too with generally slow performance and lag. Didn't spend much time on the internet initially or make any attempts to stream video which is why I didn't notice anything before. Both Intel and Nvidia graphics drivers are up to date so I'm at a loss for the moment. Really starting to anger me though that a nearly $3K machine doesn't perform as well as the phone in my pocket.

4. threeply

threeply Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

That doesn't sound good, did you start from a fresh install of W10 or the factory version?

5. Phinehas

Phinehas Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Factory version, still no luck, even had Geek Squad look at it since I was in Best Buy to buy my wife a Surface Book and they couldn't figure anything out.

6. Tyler Klein

Tyler Klein Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone else have issues with HDMI? My computer lags a ton when I plug in and I can't get it to show on a TV. Other comps used the same TV and chord just fine. I tried messing with some settings in Nvidia and Intel control panel but couldn't get it to work . really hoping it isn't a HW issue...

7. threeply

threeply Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Which browser are you using?

Are trying to view a video using the windows media player?

Do you get any errors viewing the video?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

8. Phinehas

Phinehas Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Using several browsers, all exhibit the same problems. Spent 3+ hours online with Dell Prosupport last night - thought we had it fixed but it turns out fully shutting down and booting back up erases any fixes and the problem reoccurs. We essentially went through MSConfig and disabled every non-essential program as well as on the startup we disabled all the programs which upon only a restart fixes it. We then started adding things back and it looked like Adobe Creative Cloud was at fault but it wasn't. As mentioned, shut down restores the problem even with everything disabled. I'm looking at have to do a clean install and go from there to see if we can get things working. Not looking forward to reinstalling so much software.

This might be an excuse to upgrade to the 950 Pro SSD since I have to reinstall the OS anyways.

Are there any 8 GB ECC DDR4 RAM modules available?

9. Phinehas

Phinehas Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    After a rather protracted ordeal over the last several days I think I finally solved the video problem I mentioned earlier with my 5510. The key was that even if fixed the problem reoccurred after a full shut down rather than just a restart. This led my Dell tech to suggest disabling the Fast Boot option under the power options. Bingo! Somehow that bugger was completely throwing my whole system off. I tested it multiple times on/off, restart vs. shutdown and it was 100% associated with it being active on shut down. Honestly, even though I haven't done much testing or work on the system since, everything feels a bit snappier; I even think the boot up time is quicker which is ironic since I disabled the "fast boot" option. It is a big relief to get this resolved as it put a very sour taste in my mouth regarding the 5510. Now I just have to decide if I can live with non-ECC memory and the PM951.

huntnyc and M.J.S. like this.
  10. Gudi

Gudi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nice to hear you got a fix.
    I'm still waiting for Dell to reply on my questions about a possible future 1535 Xeon. I'm defently getting the Pro 950 - but I think the 1TB will be to expensive and therefore I'm having second thoughts on the extra battery as it eats up the extra ssd space. To bad the laptop doesn't have a 3G/4G card, that one could swap with a msata disk.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015