The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision 5510 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Bokeh, Nov 24, 2015.

1. jasell

jasell Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I noticed in the original spec there is mentioned WiFi of both 2x2 and 3x3. In the Configurator there are no options for WiFi, its only 2x2. When you place the order you see in the spec that the screen (4K in my case) comes with only 2 antennas.
    I think this is the bottleneck, I would like to have seen 3 + 2 antennas. 3 for a 3x3 WiFi and 2 for a PCIe broadband modem. This is what I have in my m4700. The full size antennas are far superior from what you get in your phone or usb-dongle. I even got 3G while flying in a turbo prop once (low altitude I assume).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. threeply

threeply Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Glad the problem is fixed. I'm not sure if ECC gets you much unless you go beyond 32GB of memory.

My 2 cents

3. pokenguyen

pokenguyen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  4. whosscruffylooking

whosscruffylooking Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    To anyone with 4k screen: how does it look when running at 1920x1080? Sometimes I have to remote to older VMs or run older applications which won't look good at high ppi. Ideally at 1920x1080, the 4k display would use 4 pixels of the same colour to represent one pixel 1920x1080, and look identical to a 1080p display. Or does it use a scaler which blurs everything?

5. Bokeh

Bokeh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, it looks good at 1920x1080.

whosscruffylooking likes this.
  6. Q1968

Q1968 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all, I just ordered a pair of these for my office. Can anyone comment on the battery life using the smaller battery in conjunction with Xeon processor, UHD screen and a 2nd SSD?

Thanks in advance...

7. Bokeh

Bokeh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    With the Xeon, UHD (50%-75% brightness), and 2nd HDD, I am seeing 4 - 6 hours depending on the applications I am running. If you are hammering the system, it will be less.

M.J.S. likes this.
  8. threeply

Reputations:
    Can the discrete graphics be disabled thru BIOS? Any of these issues http://forum.notebookreview.com/index.php?threads/784691/?

9. threeply

Reputations:
    Bokeh,

Still waiting for mine to ship.

Any issues with sleep/wakeup?

Is your windows setup factory or clean install?

10. Phinehas

Phinehas Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I haven't noticed any issues with sleep/wakeup to date. Obviously, I've had some other issues that took time to resolve, but I'm hoping that I'm in the clear now!

Waiting on Thunderbolt dock to come out now and figuring if I want to buy a normal HD monitor for work or go up to a 4K to match my screen.

Bokeh and alexhawker like this.