The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision 7540 and 7740 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by djdigitalhi, Aug 13, 2019.

1. henhoy

henhoy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If you did not go out of your way to activate the "self-encrypting" feature, then it is not encrypted. Cloning will be fine.

henhoy likes this.
  3. henhoy

henhoy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks, I thought it was encrypted by default :)

4. wallstreetbets

wallstreetbets Newbie

Reputations:
    no luck. i think these are gone now. im screwed

5. maxslo

maxslo undefined

Reputations:
  6. Carlosmoto

Carlosmoto Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, i have a precision 7540 of second hand. This notebook comes whitout nvme and ram, i purchase 8gb of crucial ram recommenden for this model and have a nvme hynix of other notebook. The problem is this:
    Is impossible boot of usb stick, i try with Windows 11, Windows 10, ubuntu, Acronis, etc and no boot.

In Usb sticks with windows all try boot results in a blue screen.

In Ubuntu and acronis: "Kernel panic" "kernel tried to execute nx-protected page - exploit attempt start acronis"

I triyed with differents usb sticks, usb a, usb c.

Uptadete the bios, downgrade the bios, all versions of bios triyed.

With differents ram dimms, whit nvme, whitout nvme

differents setups on bios, secure boot activate/disabled - Hdd on sata, raid, ahci.

Clean the tpm, disable /active

Restore default bios, factory bios, last config good.

With wireless card, whitout wireless card

Dell recovery os, download the recovery, but try to boot results in crash.

Somebady whit any experience of this type???

Accept sugestions, all help is welcome.

Thanks and sorry for mi bad english.

7. Dlenz

Dlenz Newbie

Reputations:
    Ive had the FIPS one on my previous Precision 3530 and I have the non-FIPS fingerprint reader on my tablet Latitude 7200, they are the same shape, i think they are the same readers. Yes, the FIPS is slightly slower, well slightly more, also the nonFIPS can wake the pc, which means that instead of clicking the on button and then signing with the FIPS, you just touch the non FIPS reader and the pc wakes up and signs in all by just the touch. On the other hand, FIPS always recognized my finger, even if i didn't have the cleanest hand, but the non-FIPS often doesn't due to that reason. And its not like I have gasoline or something on my fingers :D just regular sweat or eraser particals. Also, the FIPS gives a more professional feeling haha. Both have their pros and cons. If it were me, id have FIPS on my workstation and a regular reader on my tablet. Unfortunately my new precision doesn't have any. Nonetheless, the IR camera is out of them all the slowest, if you value signing in speed.

8. gutentaghallo

gutentaghallo Newbie

Reputations:
    I've done some research, which I'm happy to share.

The official DELL support wrote me:

We have got the case reviewed by our internal team. As per the details on both pdfs, you should be able to install 128GB 3200 MHz (4x 32 GB) on the system.

I'm just a bit worried about the word "should" :)

Currently, I've got 2x Samsung 32GB 2666 MHz CL19 1.2v (M471A4G43MB1-CTD) installed.

The fastest ones I could find were these:
    Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz CL 16-18-18-36 1.35V (BL2K32G32C16S4B)
    Mushkin Redline 3200 MHz CL 16-18-18-38 1.35V (MRA4S320GJJM32GX2)

But I found a post from win32asmguy, who mentions that the Crucial Ballistix one is causing troubles because of the 1.35v. See his post:

Because of his post, I've searched for the fastest 1.2v RAM, which I believe would be:

Kingston FURY 3200 MHz CL20-22-22 1.2v (KF432S20IBK2)
    HyperX Impact 3200 MHz CL20-22-22 1.2v (HX432S20IBK2)

On the Dell website, user DellStA mentions that he successfully installed 2x32GB of the HX432S20IBK2 "Yes indeed that is the kit I ordered and still use without any issues."

So I guess I should be fine buying one of these two RAM (If I'm not wrong the HyperX one is the same as the Fury, Fury is just their new name).

The question is just if it will work with 4x32GB modules?
    Or has anybody found any faster RAM that should run stable?

9. Dlenz

Dlenz Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone. I opened CPU-Z and it seems like my DDR4 RAM is running at 1300mhz? :D On the other hand, I don't feel like id be having ram issues.
    upload_2021-11-13_23-24-8.png

upload_2021-11-13_23-24-37.png

also not sure what's uncore frequency.

I do have a very weird Frankenstein RAM configuration in my 7740, it 2x8GB + 1x16GB. I felt safe doing so when both a ram manufacturer and a Dell ProSupport technician ensured me, that doing so is nowadays very fine. The Dell technician actually even mentioned, that some laptop manufacturers ship their laptops with such ram configurations.
    Seeing this in CPU-Z makes me question a lot of things including whether memory speed is actually important :D

10. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Because DDR does multiple operations per clock cycle, the "actual speed" and "marketing speed" are different.