The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision 7540 and 7740 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by djdigitalhi, Aug 13, 2019.

1. xklis

xklis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    joluke and Pieter Traut like this.
  2. va123

va123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As far as nvme and heat, everyone with the performance nvmes that run hot I found out the 7540 the slot that is right next to the battery , to the left when opening the back with battery towards you. Is best because it has a metal frame and that will soak the heat, and their are no compounents to add heat. Also i put thermal pads 2mm slices right under the controller chip on my 970 Evo plus that spread heat to the case

And I noticed maybe 10c+ drop

Not sure on the 7740 which is best for temps , either way placing hit nvme the farthest from other major heat components is best imo

3. microdou

microdou Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    joluke likes this.
  4. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeesh. I'm all for a non-throttled card, but, carrying around a ≈400W power brick doesn't sound ideal...
    [Edit]
    Just looked at the laptop. I was expecting one with those giant heat exhaust vent things on the back. This one is nice and slim. They do take an interesting approach of putting the CPU/GPU and heatsinks behind the screen, but I'll be flabergasted if it can disperse 250W worth of heat that this card puts out (not even counting the CPU's heat output). I see this thing thermal throttling pretty significantly, if they don't have it capped well below 250W to start with.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    va123 likes this.
  5. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Indeed. I asked NotebookCheck several weeks ago. I'm surprised they took so long to change the PDF.

As for the RTX 6000, it feels like a PR stunt by NVIDIA. There’s no reason they had to power-limit the two GPUs beneath it, and jack this up so high. I’d be pleased if they managed to stuff 250 W of power into a 1 inch-thick chassis, but I am highly sceptical.

Plus, the power brick itself is only 300 W.

va123 likes this.
  6. reburns

reburns Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I meant to upload these AIDA memory timings earlier, see attached 2nd page. The GSkill 3000 spec is 16-18-18-43. I don't know what these AIDA numbers suggest, but the @ 1501MHz at XMP lists 18-18-18-43 and not the CAS 16 per GSkill spec. But the next section for Extreme Memory Profile (the same thing?) lists 16-18-18-43. What I'd like help with is a consensus if this GSkill is performing to spec in the 7740, or if I'm better off with HyperX 2666 with 15-17-17 timings. Splitting hairs but the time to change is now.

And please be gentle, I'm learning: keeping the Dell pre-installed boot SSD untouched, I installed the 2TB 970 EVO Plus to slot #6 and expected it to show up in Win10 Disk Manager, but it didn't. Moved it to slot #3 and no change. Attached are shots of the F12 Boot menu and BIOS. What is needed for this SSD to be recognized?

For that matter, I haven't figured out out to boot from USB to run Memtest86!

Thanks much!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  7. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If the SSD doesn't show in the "System information" page in the BIOS, then it is not attached. First, check the "Drives" page in the BIOS and make sure that you did not inadvertently disable any of the drive slots. (All of the boxes should be checked.) Then, triple-check that you actually inserted the NVMe drive all of the way down into the slot.

8. Jan Cannon

Jan Cannon Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi. I know nothing about undervolting and have just downloaded Throttlestop. Are there any recommendations for settings for the 7540 with an i9 9980hk?

9. reburns

reburns Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @Aaron44126, thanks.
    Under BIOS > System Configuration > Drives, all five drive designations are checked.
    I double-checked physical installation of the SSD.... no plastic wrap hiding on the PCB connector edge, firmly wiggled into place, good visual check (I don't think you could get the end retaining screw installed all the way if it wasn't connected properly).

No change, no drive. I suppose the next test permutation is to switch slots for the Dell OEM drive to verify that it's not a slot problem... tho I hate to mess around with the SSD that's working.

Thanks, Ralph

10. xklis

xklis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you go to "advanced display settings" (start--->settings--->system--->display--->advanced display settings) what settings are reported ? It should be something like this:
    [​IMG]