The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision 7540 and 7740 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by djdigitalhi, Aug 13, 2019.

1. xklis

xklis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Rtx Quadro Mobile 6000 was announced at IFA2019 in Berlin as part of new Asus ProArt StudioBook One.

Maybe they were just waiting to unveil their new flashship rtx quadro mobile gpu in order to release a new website layout (i remember the previuos one was different) with the updated pdf chart.

2. Hopper82

Hopper82 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    ok, 1920x1080 60Hz 8 bit. Maybe also hwinfo check the same status.

3. Hopper82

Hopper82 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    And just another thing: when I ordered my 7740 the display description was stating 100% RGB color gamut, meanings that the panel should be 8 bit capable (as it seems).

4. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Not necessarily. Colour gamut is colour width: it tells you what colours a display can represent. The bit depth is just that: it tells you how many colours a display can represent. A neat image:
    [​IMG]

maxslo and triturbo like this.
  5. RockoDesvan

RockoDesvan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys! I'm about to buy my Precision 7740 and want to populate it with 128gb of RAM.
    So, I found these ones on amazon:

Samsung 32GB DDR4 2666MHz RAM Memory Module for Laptop Computers (260 Pin SODIMM, 1.2V) M471A4G43MB1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N124XDS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=A3LKWIQ3PBTNT2&psc=1

Would this RAM modules work on the 7740?
    Or what would be a better option?

Me too!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2019
  6. Davarius

Davarius Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How long is the battery life in the Precision 7740?
    There is no Review to find.

How high are the Temps and how loud the fan?

7. reburns

reburns Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Looks to me that the 3000MHz - CL16 GSkill RAM is performing at CL18 (see attached)? Also got BSOD three times while running Memtest64 within Win10, so I'm replacing it with the 2666MHz - CL15 HyperX. Should be both stable and faster.

A first 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus would not initialize, but a replacement installed and formatted no problem.

Are there any virtual OS systems that handle memory & number crunching with speed??? My old Abaqus v6.10 Finite Element Analysis program throws up an error when trying to install to Win10, so I'll either have to try a virtual Win7, and/or keep my M6800/Win7 machine around as a dedicated FEA machine. Runs of the FEA can take minutes to many hours...

Attached Files:

8. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You can install Win7 in Hyper-V which is free (built into Windows 10, you just have to go turn it on) and works pretty well. I don't think that it is as intuitive or easy to configure as some other products but it seems to perform pretty well to me. (I have previously used VMware Workstation which I like better, but I'm stuck on Hyper-V for a while because I need it for other development stuff; VMware and Hyper-V can't coexist... yet.)

Maybe hand it four CPU cores and a good chunk of RAM and see how it does? (This VM thing is where having an absurd amount of RAM starts to come in handy...)

9. reburns

reburns Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks, I'll read up on Hyper-V!
    Another someone suggested is VirtualBox. (?)
    My FEA program license is blunted to single-core (these programs are licensed per core and get fantastically expensive). Originally I figured that 64GB of RAM would be enough and went for speed over the slower 128GB stuff.

The 7740 is off to a bumpy start and I haven't even done anything useful with it yet!

10. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    In that case setting up a dual-core VM would be fine. Microsoft has some free images that you can download. (They are specifically for browser testing but you can use them for whatever.) I think that they expire so for a permanent one you’ll need a proper Windows 7 license.

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/