The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7710 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by muzicman82, Mar 30, 2016.

1. muzicman82

muzicman82 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    qigrisu likes this.
  2. muzicman82

Reputations:
    I'll go first. I finally replaced my Precision M6500. It'll make a great 2nd system as it still runs great. It's held up pretty well over the past 4-5 years.

Why do I need this beast? I'm a Pro AV engineer but I pretty much do everything: CAD, video editing, audio mixing/editing, graphic design, photography, web programming, Crestron programming, etc. I use AutoCAD and Adobe Creative Cloud (all programs) nearly every day. I don't do much gaming anymore (no time).

The short version of my build is:
    • Intel Core i7-6820HQ w/ Smart Card & Thunderbolt 3
    • 17.3" UltraSharp UHD LCD
    • 16GB 2133 DDR4 Memory
    • NVIDIA Quadro M3000M w/ 4GB DDR5
    • Intel Dual Band Wireless 8260 w/ Bluetooth
    • Backlit Keyboard
    • 6 Cell Lithium Polymer Battery
    • Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD
    • Samsung 840 PRO SSD
    • Microsoft Windows 10
    First Impressions
    • I've had this system for a week now and so far, I'm really liking it. It feels well built.
    • The first thing I did when I got this was take the included 1TB HDD out and clean install Windows 10 on the Samsung 950 PRO. NVMe is SO FAST.
    • The UHD screen is absolutely gorgeous, but Windows display scaling support has a ways to go before it's flawless. The color on the LCD looks better than (or as good as) any of my other monitors (including several UltraSharp models). I would have preferred 16:10 aspect, but then we're not talking UHD resolution.
    • The Fn Home/End key thing isn't annoying me yet... but I'm sure it will at some point. I very well may end up using this system docked more than undocked.
    • The touchpad seems a little too far offset to the left. I'm sure I'll get used to this too.
    • I would have liked to see dedicated volume/mute buttons if not more, given the large size of this chassis.
    • The quick release battery compartment cover is pretty slick.
    • I like that all of the USB ports are SuperSpeed. The left port is really close to the miniDP port, which could be problematic.
    • I'm stoked that there's Thunderbolt 3 on this thing. However, doesn't seem like there's a lot of TB3 devices out yet... and when that happens, I really hope hardware manufacturers don't leave out Windows users with Thunderbolt support in terms of software and drivers.
    • The Dell PremierColor app and Precision Optimizer look very well done, and I'm sure they are useful, but I haven't got into them yet. PremierColor is OEM'd by Portrait Displays, and their software is pretty nice.
    • I have the Advanced Port Replicator w/ USB3 both at home and work. If you have or are getting one of these, MAKE SURE you also order the Latitude E-Docking Spacer (K5PHC). The dock connector is on the back of this unit, and you'll have to "go fish" to get it to line up properly without it. It's only $11 from Dell. There wasn't any indication that it was required for this system even if I were to add the dock to the system build.
    • If you've been around here for a while, you might remember when I installed a Logitech Unifying Receiver inside of my M6500. I might look into that with this unit but I'm going to give my Logitech MX Anywhere 2 at shot with Bluetooth.

ygohome likes this.
  3. muzicman82

Reputations:
    I do have a question...

I checked out the battery and it says "91 Wh, Standard, Li-ion Battery, Type MFKVP".

However, the order I played had Lithium Polymer selected:

"451-BBUV | 6 Cell (91 Whr) Long Life Cycle Lithium Polymer battery"

Was I given the wrong battery or is it incorrectly labeled?

4. ygohome

ygohome Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I ordered the Lithium Polymer with my system also. Mine also says Li-ion MFKVP. But if I check the BIOS power options it shows that I have the Long Life Cycle battery (only possible with polymer type). I discovered that the full correct name of the polymer batteries is "Lithium-ion polymer". So I think we are okay.

From wikipedia encyclopedia: "A lithium polymer battery, or more correctly lithium-ion polymer battery(abbreviated variously as LiPo, LIP, Li-poly and others), is a rechargeable battery of lithium-ion technology in a pouch format. Unlike cylindrical and prismatic cells, LiPos come in a soft package or pouch, which makes them lighter but also less rigid."

There are advantages and disadvantages to the poly that I initially was not aware of. One disadvantage is that they are slower to recharge... there is not an Express Charge option. The advantage is that they are more stable and lighter than a regular Li-ion. I've gotten 5 hrs on poly without ac adapter with the first hour using the M5000M exclusively (I had forgotten I had it set in Nvidia Control Panel to use the quadro for all software programs) before I switched to the integrated Intel GPU. To get that 5 hrs I had to lower brightness alot. It took awhile to recharge fully when I got home, but not terrible.

Very nice system you have and good review. I'm using an anywhere2 mouse as well. The "Darkfield" laser tech is excellent and the batteries last long time. Very cool what you did with integrating the unifying receiver inside of the m6500

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  5. gannjunior

gannjunior Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Guys,
    technical data reports "usb 3.0". So, no chanche they are instead 3.1 ?

For now I'm happy about my 7710.
    The only thing I don't like is I have the "no usb-C chassis": there is no chance to get in some way (also through dock station) the access to usb-C / TB standard for me?

My config: 7710, i7 6820HQ, 2x16gb DDR4 2666 Ripjaws (next week will arrive the other 32gb..), IGZO 4k, Quadro M3000M, 1xM2 Samsung 950 Pro NVMe for Win10 pro, 1x Seagate ST2000LM003 5400rpm 2TB, 6 cells 91Wh

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  6. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    No, if you didn't purchase it with the system, USB-C/TB3 cannot be added afterwards. The e-port docks do not have this port.

7. gannjunior

Reputations:
    Dell substituted 6700 with 7710 but they did not let me choose any changement in their offer... :(

I would have hoped, in some way, there would have been some chance to get TB3 ex post....After all my 7710 shares the same bios and the same drivers of 7710 with TB3..

8. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If you got a free upgrade because of warranty issue, you should count yourself lucky enough, M6700 did not have TB3 either after all.

alexhawker likes this.
  9. gannjunior

Reputations:
    @Aaron44126
    Of course. I'm happy.
    I asked for TB3, I would have paid the difference but no chance...

10. bee144

bee144 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    They want to clear out their non TB3 stock. If you managed to get by without TB3 before then you'll be fine. I'm not even aware of any TB3 accessories besides the Dell dock anyways.