The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M6700 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Bokeh, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I would also add that while removing the keyboard isn't particularly difficult, it is multilayered and requires a light hand (Isn't' that true of all laptop disassembling?) to do without damaging the components or chassis. If you're all thumbs, it might be better to find someone else more experienced to perform this routing procedure for you.

One more thing, I learned the hard way -- after spilling an entire 16oz of Gaterade into my first laptop -- that computers and liquids don't mix. It did manage to start (after a few days of drying), but needless to say the screen (which wicked the liquid up into the lower third) would never look the same. (I'm not sure if they even make my current display anymore?)

Nowadays, I use a multi tiered method to avoid such a catastrophe happening again: First, I use an external keyboards, and/or never place liquids closer than two feet, and/or put them on a lower level, and always with a sealed spill proof lid. Call it paranoia, but I still shake when anyone walks towards me holding a cup of coffee. Good luck.

RCB likes this.
  2. blindzior

blindzior Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I spilled it on left Ctrl, Fn, Windows Key, Alt and Space Bar.
    Actually managed to fix it & clean it. The problem is that Window Key stopped working after couple of hours and I don't know what the issue is :)

3. ThomasH

ThomasH Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Excuse me but I can't read the whole thread ;-)

My question whose Dell not able to answer:

How can I update my RAID Controller Firmware on M6700?
    Is it included in normal BIOS Update or is it a separate Firmware?

I have installed Windows 2012 with 2 Samsung Evo SSD in RAID0 (because performance)
    and there was shown an error, but the drive was OK. I have also an backup, but it takes
    a lot of tim to backup every day more than 1gig of VMs.

Thanks

4. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The RAID controller firmware is updated with the regular system firmware.

5. ThomasH

ThomasH Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    thanks a lot. I have A06 with RAID OROM 11.0.1.1392 and A11 shows me also RAID OROM 11.0.1.1392.
    Thats why I will not do an update.

6. brianmc

brianmc Newbie

Reputations:
    I just attached the new Dell U3214Q 32" monitor to my M6700 with Quadro K3000M and it's only giving me 3840x2160 at 30 Hz. The K300M literature and the Displayport 1.2 specs both state that I should be able to get 60 Hz. Any suggestions? I've got the latest drivers as of today. I've tried both the mini Displayport cable that shipped with the monitor and the normal Displayport cable I was previously using to drive my U3011.

7. mikhailk

mikhailk Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    True that. Having 32GB definitely is a must for me - allows to take advantage of all cores, when applications aren't fully multithreaded, for example (multiple instances). Plus, in a heavy memory usage (avoiding virtual memory) or polling GBs on hard drive scenarios it saves my SSD life too, numerics eats it quite quickly, if it's not cached.

Indeed, switching to 32GB @ 1.35V would shave off 10-20W, add low (idle) power SSDs on top of this and possibly switching 2-3 cores off when you're on the go... and all the sudden M6700 might be sort of mobile.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.

8. RealJEDI

RealJEDI Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi,

I read about these 4k monitors that you need to enable the MTP mode (Multi Stream Transport). And IMHO you need a driver version newer than 326.xx from nVidia.
    Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    Alex

9. brianmc

brianmc Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Using the on-screen menu (that I somehow had not previously found), setting Displayport 1.2 to 'enable' fixed my problem. Running 3840x2160@60Hz now like a champ!

10. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well now, since you're one of the innovators of this still rarely used technology, perhaps you will keep all us plebeians informed on the pros and cons of how it works for you? Are you an enthusiast or do you use this monitor professionally?

In any event, I'm sure more than a few gamers out there will be particularly interested in those 60Hz. As for me, my institution recently upgraded to the BlackMagic 4k. It good to see someone finally get the monitors that can display their content.