The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M6700 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Bokeh, Aug 9, 2012.

1. mikhailk

mikhailk Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Guys,

I got new questions: I just bought i1 Display Pro and results are sort of mixed/strange. The best results so far were from argyll, but it consistently tells me that native white point is around 7300K. However - it looks more or less neutral to me, definitely better than D65 (really, really warm). Settings of premier color were 6500K and gamut settings didn't really change the outcome.

The other problem I was having since the very beginning and tired of, is that screen doesn't always turn on. So I have to mess with switching between external and internal outputs (no display connected) or even make system switch to safe mode via multiple forces reboots. Nothing has helped before - drivers, firmware, premier color uninstallation, w7, w8, w8.1.

Any comments would be very appreciated!
    Mikhail

2. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You shouldn't have to mess with any thing or jiggle any cords. If the specification are met (from what you tell us, they are) and its connected properly, it should just work. If it doesn't, you got a lemon, send it back!

3. mitchellboy

mitchellboy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Recently, I changed a new K5000M card (dell version with new BIOS) instead of AMD Firepro M6000 and my screen is IPS RGB. However, after I changed the card, the screen color looks so much different than before (much oversaturated), even I changed FullRGB to sRGB in Premiercolor. I am running Win8.1. Now I adjust the Digital vibrance from 50% to 35% which looks normal.

Anyone has same experience or suggestions? Many thanks.

4. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Are you saying it changed for the worse? That really doesn't seem like a big issue just readjust the screen. Or even better, recalibrate it. There nothing native as far as the calibration as far as I know.

Anyway, why do change your card? The K5000 was the top of the line although the latest k5100 tops that and doubles RAM. Going there would make sense, but this your was a parallel move?

I've been considering performing an upgrade but that's only because I'll be adding a 4k monitor in Jan. which I've been holding back for.

Although all Quadros can drive 4k, doubling the RAM will certain increase the performance. Then again, I hear the next generation will be out in 3 months?

5. baii

baii Sone

Reputations:
    Some say the RGB IPS is factory calibrated, so that might had break the calibration a bit.

Nvidia driver is find to make Premier software go useless, so try reinstall both.

6. mitchellboy

mitchellboy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, I think the color goes worse when I am using Nvidia card. As baii said, IPS is factory calibrated, but I dont think they will separate them for AMD or Nvidia cards. I tried to uninstall the premier software but I cant full clean uninstalled it. The software seems has compatible issue with Win8.1 and dell never update it !

7. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    To tell you the truth I manage colors better with Windows calibration than I do with Premier Color. Maybe I'm not doing it right?

8. baii

baii Sone

Reputations:
    Premier color "clip" the gamut even in non color- managed apps.

It is almost like the srgb mode/argb mode in desktop monitors, except that it do it in software 8bit(I believe), hence the complain of banding.

9. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Running into an issue that I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed or knows about.

When I'm on battery, I notice that the machine is doing some sort of auto contrast or gamma correction depending on what's on the screen. If I'm looking at something bright then everything is normal. If I'm looking at something dark, it seems to change the contrast or gamma in some sort of effort to make the screen brighter or easier to read (when in reality it just looks bad). It's very easy to notice when a dialog on a web page or app pops up that takes a small portion of the screen, and the rest of the screen behind it dims out.

Again, this only happens on battery. The system operates normally when connected to the outlet. Also, it only affects the internal display, external displays behave normally.

I've checked and "Enable adaptive display brightness" is disabled (on battery and AC) in the Windows power options control panel. I can't find anything in the NVIDIA control panel that seems applicable. I tried disabling the "Senor monitoring service" which some people indicated may cause something like this, but it didn't change anything.

I never noticed this before a few weeks ago... Though, that doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't happening, I don't use the battery very often so I just might not have triggered an image on the display that caused it to happen so drastically.

[Edit]
    This seems about right.
    http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19507983.aspx
    The second post details how to fix this problem but I can't find the option to disable "Dell Intelligent Display" (even with secure boot disabled).

10. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Have you determined if its a hardware issue or a software issue? Is it sporadic or can you get it to reoccur under specific conditions? Do you think it may have something to do with the Optimus feature?

I haven't had the issue you describe but if you want me to test for it, post the perimeters and conditions. And I'll see what happens.

Didn't even know I had Dell Intelligent Display? :(