The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M6700 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Bokeh, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I've only spent a little time looking at it — something I'd like to fix but not that big a deal since I'm on power 99% of the time and it only happens when I'm on battery. It's not sporadic, I can reproduce it every time. I suspect a software issue, I had the screen replaced recently and it happened both before and after the replacement. (Haven't gone and tried a fresh Windows install, or Linux live CD, to see if that makes a difference.)

Not Optimus related (Optimus is disabled for now ... haven't tried with Optimus on).

Here's a test. Go here, with the computer on battery power. Scroll the page up and down so that the white box scrolls on and off the screen. As the white box disappears or reappears, you should see the screen contrast/gamma change (easily visible while looking at the browser chrome at the top). Maybe I'll post a video later if no one else can reproduce it.

2. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Understood.

Negative change here. I don't have Chrome, but under the specified conditions with Firefox and Explorer the results were the same. If you need any further assistance just post it. Hope that helps.

3. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Shouldn't matter which browser. By "chrome" I was referring to the stuff at the top of the screen (menus, address bar, etc.) which is what that part of the browser is called and was less confusing before "Chrome" came along. :p

Anyway, thanks for posting your results.

4. fredflinstone

fredflinstone Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the same problem as you but it also happens plugged in - in almost all of the lower performance modes (Balanced and Ultra seem ok). Display gets dim and colors washed out. Really weird. Have you found a solution ?

5. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Alright, glad I'm not the only one. No, I haven't found a solution yet.

Interesting that you're seeing a difference depending on which power mode is selected. I played around with that just now and it happens to me on all power modes. I usually sit in "Balanced".

6. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Definitely happening on my M6700 on battery regardless of which power mode or screen brightness. I tried it on the 8570w too and it didn't change contrast or brightness any. Must be a M6700 specific issue.

7. darkydark

darkydark Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It could be the fact thst m6700 ises fpu switching and intel gpu colour accuracy isnt that great while elitebook has no gpu switching technology and that issue is not presented.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0100 using Tapatalk

8. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Again, running with Optimus disabled here, so there is no graphics switching going on and the Intel GPU is out of the loop.

I think this issue was introduced at some point because I think I would have noticed it earlier. The first time I remember seeing it was October or November (didn't think much about it at first). NVIDIA driver update? Windows 8.1 issue somehow?

For other people who have identified the problem, I'm interested to know...
    - Are you running Windows 8.1? (Or which OS?)
    - Do you have Optimus enabled?
    - NVIDIA or AMD card? Which version of the drivers do you have installed?
    - Are you running the stock Dell Windows image or did you install Windows yourself? If so, did you install the Dell Feature Enhancement Pack?

Maybe we can identify a common thing that may be the source of the problem.

9. Bokeh

Bokeh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Same issue. K5000M with IPS. W8.1 64 bit. Only see it on battery power.

Uninstalling the Nvidia driver corrects the issue, so hardware seems to be ok. Currently looking for an Nvidia setting that causes the issue.

UPDATED - Installed Nvidia Quadro 321.10 for Windows 8 64 bit (not 8.1). Seems to fix the issue. Could this be a W8.1 driver issue?

Aaron44126 likes this.
  10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Alright, great. I already poked around in the NVIDIA control panel and I couldn't find anything that seemed relevant (especially anything that would only affect the system only battery power).

I'm currently running NVIDIA drivers 331.82. (325 and up are WDDM 1.3 / Windows 8.1-supported drivers.) Since you've identified it as an NVIDIA driver issue, I'll try a few different versions tonight and see what I find...