The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M6700 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Bokeh, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Confirming Bokeh's results.

I tried 327.62 (latest driver release from Dell) and still had the problem.
    Back to 321.10 (which is actually newer than any of the above) and the problem is gone.

Because the Dell driver exhibits the problem, it should be possible to bring this to Dell's attention if it can be reproduced easily (easier than going straight to NVIDIA). Of those of you who reported not having this issue, if you are using an NVIDIA GPU, can you post what OS and NVIDIA driver version you are using? Willing to try 327.62 or 331.82 and see if the issue pops up?

2. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    W8.1 Pro, 64 bit, 331.82.

3. Bokeh

Bokeh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    With the W8.1 drivers, I was running full gamut without the Dell Premier Color software running.

Dropping back to the W8.0 driver meant that I had to install the Premier Color software to get past sRGB. Same behavior as W7.

Hopefully Nvidia can get rid of the gamma/brightness power saving crap in the 8.1 drivers or at least give us the option to turn it off

4. landsome

landsome Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think - not absolutely sure - it can be resolved by going to Power options / Advanced settings / Display. It's one of the options there, not sure right now which (I am writing this on a HD4000 machine and this option is not present), but it definitely solved my powersaving gamma problem (in Win7 on the 8770w with the latest nVidia drivers).

In my case the problem appeared on battery as well as in the Power saver mode even while plugged in. What I did is I looked at the relevant settings (Power options / Advanced settings / Display / ???) in the Balanced mode and entered the same values in the Power saver mode. The issue went away.

5. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    You talking about the "Adaptive display brightness" setting in the Windows power options? (Power options -> Change plan settings -> Advanced -> Display) One of the first things I tried, didn't make any difference.

6. landsome

landsome Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, in my case setting it to "None" immediately solved the gamma problem irrespective of power plan.

7. fredflinstone

fredflinstone Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks, that cured it for me !

8. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    New NVIDIA drivers today, 332.21.
    NVIDIA DRIVERS Quadro Notebook Driver Release 331 WHQL

I'll check them later but I'm not going to keep them unless the strange auto-brightness-on-battery issue is fixed.

[Edit]
    Still have the bug in 332.21 (and I even tried the "clean install" option with the NVIDIA installer).

9. Bokeh

Bokeh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Same here. Under video options in the Nvidia Control Panel, I see Dynamic Contrast as an option. Its almost like it is turned on all the time.

Also, under the Adaptive Brightness settings in the Power Options, I don't see the choice of "None", I just see "On" and "Off".

10. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Okay, I updated and there are still no instabilities to report.

But apparently we have a true mystery here. Time to apply the scientific model? Have you eliminated all the program/software possibilities? What about configuration?

Finally, what about hardware? What do you two have that the rest of us don't? We can solve this.

EDIT:

Okay, has anyone else noticed an enhancement in quality of the display with the new drivers? Its ever so slight, but things do look sharper and more vivid.

Also, the addition of a continuously variable brightness range. Before I could only get preset increment of 20% form light to dark. Now, its continuously variable. When did that come out? It wasn't on my unit originally?