The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M6700 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Bokeh, Aug 9, 2012.

1. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    i also tried pulling the memory on the bottom I added a few years ago. Same thing. I read pressing FN + power will boot to diagnostics. Top right I see Diagnostic: boot selected. However, it does not go past this.

I guess it is the MB. Just not sure if me changing the HD cuase it or just a coincidence.

2. rinconmike

Reputations:
    tech changed the MB. boot to winows with new drive fine. However, now wifi and bluetooth does not work. Win 10 says it is in airplane mode and will not come out of airplane mode. I tired disabling wireless switch in bios too and does not work.

Anyone have any ideas?

3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm not sure how the wireless switch is attached to the motherboard, it could be that you just need to find and re-seat the connector there, because it sounds like the switch is reading always in the "wireless off" state. Otherwise, you may be calling Dell out again, as this was clearly caused by the motherboard swap (whether it a bad motherboard or loose cable).

With Windows 8 and up and M6700 BIOS A06 or later, the switch is managed by the Windows and the BIOS options relating to it have no effect. (There's a note in the BIOS stating this.)

4. rinconmike

Reputations:
    Thanks. I had the tech take it all apart and he forgot to plug that in!!

5. rinconmike

Reputations:
    with the new MB, I need to reset the bios settings. Under performance, there is an intel turbo boost. By default this is disabled. Should this be disabled or enabled?

6. rinconmike

Reputations:
    I have another question. Under the bios, under UEFI Boot, I have two entries for Windows Boot Manager. I thought I had one before but could be wrong. Could this be because I swapped main hard drives?

7. rinconmike

Reputations:
    And another issue. if i have the system in the dell dock, the hard wire network cable is not seen. if i take it out f the dock, and plug in back of system, lan cable is seen and connected. i tired two different docks. the two monitors and usb devices plugged in the dock seem to work fine.

any ideas on this one?

8. rinconmike

Reputations:
    And another issue. If I have the system in the dell dock, the hard wire network cable is not seen. If I take it out of the dock, and plug it in the back of the system, the lan cable is seen and connected. I tried two different docks. The two monitors and usb devices plugged in the dock seem to work fine. Just not the lan. wifi works.

any ideas on this one?

9. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This allows the CPU to run higher than the rated speed until it gets too hot (which is "forever" in a machine with good cooling like the M6700). I think you'd want it on, surprised it is off by default.

This can happen if you've been swapping drives around. You don't really have to worry about it, but if you want you can delete them both, then use F12 to manually boot the correct drive once, and it should add the proper entry back.

The dock is just a port replicator. Is there any damage to the dock connector on the bottom of the laptop? If some of the pins don't connect, corresponding ports on the dock will not work.

alexhawker likes this.
  10. rinconmike

Reputations:
    Thanks. Dell is sending out another MB to see if that fixes the ethernet on the the port replicator. I cannot see any pins that look bent. Happens on two replicators so thinking it is the MB. Tech at first tried to argue it is a USB driver issue. However, when first turnin on machine (say go into bios) the lights on the lan port light up when just connected to the system. When connected to the dock, the lights do not light up at all. Finally convinced it is not a software issue (plus it all worked before). Pro Support used to be better.