The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M6700 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Bokeh, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hardware upgrades do not void the warranty. However, if you have a problem, Dell may request that you restore the machine to its original configuration before working on it under warranty. (They might not, also. Depends on the issue and on the technician.)

You add any standard 2.5" SATA drive or mSATA SSD. Choose one that meets your needs/budget.

100+ seems a little high, but probably fine for a stress test. The system will continue to function above 100 C.

amboscoboinik likes this.
  2. darkydark

darkydark Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Clean the heatsinks. I have not seen that high temperatures in m6600 or m6800, unless you have mx i7 with higher tdp temps are too high for comfort.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

3. amboscoboinik

amboscoboinik Newbie

Reputations:
    This is the computer Precision M6700 32GB RAM 160GB HDD Cosmetic Grade B 1x Core i7 Quad Extreme (i7-3940XM) 3.00 GHz
    [​IMG]

I paid $1180 I hope I did a good deal. Looks like a very powerful machine. Thanks for your replies

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
    alexhawker likes this.
  4. darkydark

darkydark Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Try repasting cpu and gpu to lower temps down a little, but your i7 will run hot.

Those are some serious specs for that price.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

5. amboscoboinik

amboscoboinik Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello I upgrade the bios to the recommended by dell A15. I'm experimenting some visual bugs (not very important) when I scroll in power point 2013 and *.pdf files. I don't know if it could be related. Any of you know if something is wrong with this bios version?

On the other hand someone of you could give me a recommendation about what ssd install and in which bay. My computer came with a 160HDD 7200rpm. I'm thinking into put a 256 as an OS drive (Samsung 850 pro) and for now leave the 160HD as a secondary. Is it a good idea? Is it a good idea to use a msata drive to do RAID? I will notice a diminution in the performance if I do it? I have around $300 and I want to hear recommendations from you guys because I'm a very beginner. Thanks in advance. And for sure... Happy Thanksgiving!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Michiko

Michiko Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You can install any 2.5" SSD upto 9 mm high in the second HDD bay. There are extra screws in the base near the second HDD bay, which you can use to secure the SSD. For 7 mm high drives you need to use a spacer.

Alternatively, you can also install an mSATA SSD in the mSATA bay. If the mSATA drive doesn't come with a screw to secure it, you can use the screw from the primary HDD bay release latch instead.

You can use the SSD as an OS drive to speed-up your OS boot time and application start time. If these are not important to you, or you use applications that access the disc a lot, you can also choose to use the SSD as a data drive. Both are possible options.

You can select which drive to boot from (primary, secondary or mSATA) in the BIOS.

The Samsung PRO SSDs are a good choice.

No, that is not a good idea.

Mixing an HDD (slow) with an SSD (fast) in a RAID 0 (= striping) setup, will void the speed boost you would get from the SSD. RAID 0 is only usefull if both drives have the same speed.

Mixing different size drives in a RAID 1 (= mirror) setup is also not a good idea. The mirror set will have the size of the smallest drive.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    amboscoboinik likes this.
  7. amboscoboinik

amboscoboinik Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks Michiko you have been very clear and very helpful. This thread is great, it let me feel more supported than the customer service from many brands.

8. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    System will not boot past dell logo - No Post.

Tonight I went to upgrade my 256GB SSD to a 512GB SSD. I used Acronis to restore the image to new SSD. Restore using eh acronis boot media worked fine. Went to boot and it would not boot past the dell logo. pressing F2 says preparing to enter setup but does not. I put the 256GB drive back in and same thing. I tried disconnecting the CMOS battery and nothing. Dell said the MB failed and send someone to replace it. Does this sound correct? Could changing the SSD cause this or just a coincidence?

thanks,

Mike

9. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Very strange, but if in the previous working configuration it does not work, and if after resetting the BIOS by pulling battery it does not work... Not sure what else you could possibly try besides replacing the system board. If you're still under warranty, count yourself lucky. (My warranty expired in August and I did not renew. Hoping the system holds together for a few more years before I replace it.)

Maybe disconnect everything you can think of (anything external + internal drives) and see if that makes a difference? If so, add things back one at a time until you find the problem.

10. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    thanks. i pulled both drives to see if i can get to bios and it did not work. only other things to pull is internal cd and memory. i would think going to bios has nothing to do with switching hard drives unless it fried something. ssd is a new samsung 850 pro.