The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M6700 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Bokeh, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Stanislav Podljastsuk

Stanislav Podljastsuk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello! can you share me a Vbios file(modded to 720 mhz on Core - same as GTX 680m
    i have a nice sample of m6700 with IPS and K5000M, want to mod vbios
    from techinferno need to 5 posts done, for downloading...dont want to do this

Thanks

2. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    K5000M and K4000M vBIOS are not the same, but I'm sure someone on the forum has an unlocked K5000M vBIOS to post.

3. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Got the new (refurbished) MB and all seems ok now. Also, the turbo boost was enabled under the bios with the MB. Not on the last one!

4. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    K5000M-80.04.33.00.35-OC.ROM --- This is the one I'm using, the clock is set to 750 MHz (higher than GeForce 680M) and it dynamically changes the clock based on load. It is based on the original K5000M VBIOS.
    K5000M-80.04.5A.00.05-OC.ROM --- This one is based on the newer K5000M VBIOS, but the dynamic clock isn't as good, it jumps straight from 520 MHz to 750 MHz rather than having about 8 levels in between.

The older VBIOS has an issue, it will not boot right unless you have legacy option ROMs enabled or Optimus enabled. (You only have to have one of these enabled, but both works as well.) I have Optimus enabled so it is not an issue for me.

Attached Files:

5. Stanislav Podljastsuk

Reputations:
    Thanks!

one more qustion for Precision-Geek :)

which way of flashing vBios you recommend best? 1-from Windows 2 -from bootable memory stick + DOS + bios

RGDS,

6. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    I have always done it from Windows with the "nvflash" command-line tool (run as administrator). After successful flash, reboot.

I recommend flashing with Optimus enabled if you can. This way if something goes wrong, you'll still be able to reboot and flash again, as the Intel GPU will be handling the display. (I have had one bad flash which left my K5000M inoperable, but I was able to flash again and it was fine.)

Sometimes it complains that the NVIDIA GPU is not present when you try to flash, if it does this, run a program that will turn the GPU on (like GPU-Z) and try again. If it complains that one of the IDs is wrong you can flash using the "overridesub" -6 option (i.e. nvflash.exe -6 FILENAME.ROM).

7. Stanislav Podljastsuk

Reputations:
    Thanks for fast answer,

my system is with IPS Premier color panel, unfourtunately without Optimus possible....
    but I am using WIN 7, with Legacy ROM enabled,
    Can you advice me, if it possible to flash my graphics(came with newer version 80.04.5a.00.05) with older one

RGDS,

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  8. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    It is possible, I've done it on mine.

With no option for Optimus, you could be toast if a flash does not go well, so be as careful as you can.
    (Not my fault if it breaks)

9. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Same here, I've flashed my K4000M back and forth several times, no problems encountered.

10. deadline

deadline Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone tried the new 16GB DDRIII memory modules? I wonder if they work in our M6700.
    Sometimes I'm still hitting the wall with my 32GB and I don't want to upgrade to any other mobile workstation, because I love my Premier Color Screen.