The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M6700 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Bokeh, Aug 9, 2012.

1. TPGRENIER

TPGRENIER Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Perfect!!! I'll try !!! Thank you again!

2. TPGRENIER

Reputations:
    Hey @Aaron44126 , my mistake. I have one Quadro P3000, not P5000. This steps will work for this video card model ? Processor model is a i7 3470QM

Tks.

3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The vBIOS that we have working is only for the Quadro P5000. At the moment, I do not know of any way that you will be able to get the Quadro P3000 past the initial BIOS screens to actually boot an OS on the M6700.

4. TPGRENIER

Reputations:
    ok, I got it. Thank you for your effort to guide me.

5. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As far as I know, bios doesn't need to have the same ram count to work, look at old days with GTX680/770 with both 2Gb or 4Gb of GDDR5, bios were the same between the card, there is also some guys that modded back in the day GTX590 or GTX690 and double the amount of GDDR5 without modding the bios (they replaced chip by one that have double density).
    So I presume that P5000 "16Gb" bios would work on "8Gb" P5000 (even is it doesn't exist), then if I remember correctly we can flash bios of more "unlocked" core on "locked" core without problem.
    The only hardware mod needed would be the hardware id, which consist of some resistance on the chip itself ?
    For sure we will be unable to flash GTX1070 with P5000 without programmer like CH341A, but this is a "formality"

6. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Someone tried this (see the M6800 GPU thread). It worked but only until the first reboot... Then the card was reporting unable to start in Device Manager.

7. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    He also modified the smd (hardware mod) that define the device id ?

8. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    No, vBIOS flash only.

9. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    That's maybe the thing that stop it from working properly :/
    And for IPS rgb screen upgrade, what should I get in order to replace my standard LVDS panel ? Is it usefull ? I mean it's a display after all but since I might keep this laptop a while I consider to "max out" it, the thing that worry me is that I can't find any review that compare IPS and non IPS screen installed in factory for M6700.
    Also I read that there "delta fan" mod, what is the part number of these fans ?

10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    See this thread regarding an IPS panel "upgrade". The procedure for the M6600 and M6700 is basically the same.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...display-diy-upgrade-conversion-thread.686517/
    You have to replace several parts, not just the display panel. I looked into this a little bit and it seems like some of the needed parts are hard to come by now.

There is discussion on the different fan types in this thread.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/precision-m4800-cpu-upgrade-tdp-concerns.826646/
    It seems like the types of fans are Sunon, AVC, and Delta. (That is in order of quality from worst to best.) They all have the same part number, so you can't use that to distinguish them. In order to secure Delta fans, you have to check actual pictures on eBay and then confirm with the seller that the pictures are of the actual shipping item, as many sellers use stock pictures or might be selling a lot of fans from different systems that turn out to be different brands. If you look at the photos provided by @unnoticed early on in that thread you should be able to tell the fans apart by appearance, which is needed since on eBay many of them have the actual brand sticker removed.

I purchased a GPU fan from this vendor and did end up receiving a Delta Electronics fan. (It is mis-labeled as a CPU fan but it does have the GPU fan part number.) I have found it harder to locate a CPU fan. I tried using an M6800 GPU fan (very similar shape to M6700 CPU fan) without success, that is described in the linked thread. I have a fan on order from a UK seller that seems like it will be right and I will have it in a few days. He was just selling a single fan, though.