The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M6700 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Bokeh, Aug 9, 2012.

1. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Okay, so maybe if I find a decend looking and not working M6600 or M6700 with IPS RGB I will take it.
    Since in europe I could only find bad fan I will buy from china on aliexpress or ebay.
    This last one confused me, is the Firepro M6100 really more powerfull than my actual K4000M (@stock then @+50% OC)? what about game performance ? and for CAD performance ? this firepro is listed very cheaply on ebay, it's insane

2. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sadly, I can't pm you :/

3. RealJEDI

RealJEDI Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi there,

I just wiped my old M6700 (with RGBLED-IPS display) and installed a fresh Win10 64bit. After installing I stumbled over the fact that I couldn't find any compatible PremierColor software for this setup.
    Do you guys know a version of it that's usable or at least a bundle of icc-files (icm?) that I could use to tame this wide gamut display?

TIA,
    Alex

PS: Could anyone please send me the version of PremierColor that came with the M6700? Can't find it on DELL site...

---> SOLVED: I finally found the file "Premier_Color_2.00.053_Setup_ZPE.exe" (not at DELL of course). It was intended to work with Win7 x64 bit I could install it on Win10 x64 without any hassle and it seems to work. Now my old M6700 is ready to be prepared as a fallback machine if my 7720 AND the 9560 fail :)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  4. RealJEDI

RealJEDI Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi,

since I managed to make my M6700 Covet usable again after having it in my drawer for 2 years (see post above) I'm interested in making it shiny again.
    The backlit keyboards are easy to find - but the reason for me to switch over to the 7720 was a big crack in the gorilla glass (of the Edge2Edge IPS display cover). The IPS display itself is flawless.
    Does anybody know the part# of this front element (and maybe even a location where to buy [in europe?])?

Cheers and thanks in advance,
    Alex

---> EDIT: Part# seems to be 09PJJH

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  5. RMSMajestic

RMSMajestic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone has the PremierColor application? It'd be very helpful if someone can upload 2.00 and 2.00.053 or any version

6. Rippchen

Rippchen Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    One quick question for all users who have upgraded to an 980m. I discovered that Optimus is not fully (or really) working in my M6700. The NVIDIA optimus activity monitor in the task bar is showing that the 980m is not active (no program is using it). So far everything looks fine. But hwinfo is showing that the nvidia gpu is still enabled (even completely idling at lowest clockspeed) and so still consuming 5W. Overall the machine is consuming pretty good 13W at lowest display brightness but that unnecessary 5W are a huge part of that.

Can someone confirm that behaviour with hwinfo? Latest NVIDIA drives installed and Intel HD4000 drivers are also up to date so far I can see. Latest BIOS installed. There are no devices attached to the M6700 and it is also not connected to the E-Dock.

Either hwinfo is fooling me (I don't think so...) or something in my software/hardware configuration is not configured the way it should be.

7. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I had trouble getting Optimus to work with my Quadro M5000M. It is easy to mess up the INF mod and break it. If it is broken, it works as you describe; everything "seems" fine but nothing will actually render on the NVIDIA GPU. (CUDA works, though.) NVIDIA has recently changed things in the driver so that an INF mod is not needed with a GeForce 980M. I'll download it and dig in and see if they are using an Optimus-supported setup or not...

8. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Which NVIDIA drivers did you download to install? I just downloaded the mobile GeForce version of 419.67. I can't find the lines mentioned by @JEAMN here, so it is looking like you "shouldn't" be able to install the latest version without an INF mod? Did you attmept to modify the INF file to install the drivers?

All I can recommend is that you try modifying the INF file using the Quadro M5000M settings as a base. Another user got this working with the GeForce 965M so I suspect it will work with the 980M. In nvdmi.inf:
    Search for: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13F8&SUBSYS_06DA1028
    Replace wih: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_153F1028
    (I think that is what your GeForce 980M should be reporting for the hardware/device ID.)
    All occurrences.
    Use DDU to remove your old driver and then install your modified driver using NVIDIA's setup.exe. You'll have to install it with "driver signature verification" disabled at boot (Google how to get there if you don't know) but you can boot normally after the driver is installed.

9. Rippchen

Rippchen Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @Aaron44126:

Thanks for your Feedback. The 980m is working flawlesly when the power is needed. Only thing is that maximum battery savings is not working as expected. It seems that the 980m is not going to be deactivated at all. It still seems active in the lowest power state even all rendering operations are performed by the HD4000 and the NVIDIA optimus tray icon is also saying it's not used at all.

Right now the NVIDIA driver version 419.35 is installed without the need for driver modifications, like already known for a couple of months.

I'm also not sure if this behaviour was also present half a year ago when I initlally installed the 980m including a full new install of Windows 10 Pro (1809).

Edit: I'm already used to the driver modifications in the past where the K2200M in my M4800 needed it and the id matching was not included in the NVIDA driver. The actual behaviour seems kind of new to me.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Alright, that is different behavior than I have seen before. Just curious, do you dock your system at all? I do experience that after I dock my system (which causes a display to be attached directly to the NVIDIA GPU), the GPU usually won't enter the "powered off" state after I undock, until I reboot the system.