The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M6700 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Bokeh, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Dirtnap

Dirtnap Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Make a unboxing video first! Then rip up the box and post some benchmarks.

2. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    Anyone here who can tell me the brand & model number or spare part number of the 3d/120hz screen used in the M6700?
    THX! :)

3. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Has anyone gotten their M6700 with the AMD GPU? Looking to see how battery life is when compared to the nVidia solutions (w/ and w/o Optimus).

4. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Make the video; I will be the judge as to whether it's "silly" or not. :p

5. MikeBR

MikeBR Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can anyone give an answer yet on whether the M6700 touch/stylus will have a Wacom digitzer or an n-Trig digitizer?
    If it's a Wacom, it will be a game-changer for me, and I'll probably wait and buy it (unless it's very expensive). If it's an n-Trig, I may just get a refurbished M6600 mtouch on eBay, if I see one at a good price.
    Thanks,
    Mike Reilly, architect

6. SecretAsianMan

SecretAsianMan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Dell held a Google+ hangout a few days back to discuss the new Precisions. In it, Mano G stated that it would be a Wacom digitizer.

7. Serge039

Serge039 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is it normal that my order is saying estimated arrival on the 23rd but it still hasn't shipped yet?

8. SecretAsianMan

SecretAsianMan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Pulled the trigger on an M6700. Was waiting on the K3000M/K4000M, but Dell offered a decent enough discount that I could afford the K5000M. I don't need that much GPU for my development work, but I will enjoy it when gaming. Estimated delivery is 8/30.

This was a hard decision to make. I wanted to buy an rMBP, because it provides several things I wish my uMBP had (USB 3, IPS, decent SSD without hacks). However, retina tech needs another cycle to let the GPU and software catch up. Plus, my W510 is older, and I have tired of running Windows in a VM on the uMBP. Hate to make this about M6700 vs rMBP, given the prior conversation, but that's what it came down to for me. I use both Windows and OS X, so I have an excuse. :)

Dell's proactive involvement with the community (thanks, Mano!) and Bokeh's great review helped tip the scale in favor of the M6700.

9. awalt

awalt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I seriously doubt I would have bought a 6700 right now if not for Bokeh's review. While informative, objective, and detailed, it was very inspiring to learn all the little things Dell put into this laptop that I would not have otherwise known about.

10. awalt

awalt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does anyone know yet if Windows 8 running on the 6700 benchmarks faster? I thought I read that Microsoft said it was faster, just wondering how it matches up to Win 7. I can learn to coexist with the idiotic Metro interface and spurious extra keystrokes to do things, if I get a perf boost out of the deal!