The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M6700 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Bokeh, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I didn't get vPro and I do have the virtualization features mentioned here.

For Pro support vs. regular, I didn't see any advantage (I'm not going to call in for software issues). However, the sales rep I was using really wanted me to get it, and ended up upgrading me to pro for free.

[Edit]
    On my screen issue. Called Dell this morning and they're going to replace it tomorrow. No hassle.

Not sure what difference pro support made in this case, but I did talk to them ("Thank you for calling Dell pro support") and I didn't have to talk to anyone from India. The call took less than 15 minutes. It was all very pleasant. :p

[Edit 2]
    Dell tech just replaced my screen. New screen is perfect. I'm a happy camper.

2. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Installed the final version of Windows 8 today.

I actually did an upgrade over my Windows 7 install. The upgrade took about an hour and a half.
    (The Windows 7 in-place upgrade I did to migrate my install from my previous machine to the M6700 took about 6 hours. So they've made some improvements to the upgrader.)

The driver situation is the same as what I reported in my previous post, regarding the Windows 8 RP. Everything works except the fingerprint reader and the freefall sensor. (These devices were working in Windows 7 before I upgraded. Well, I didn't actually test the freefall sensor.)

The fingerprint reader appears to be installed correctly, but an error is given if you try to enroll fingerprints. I had my fingerprints enrolled in Windows 7, and the option to log in with them appears in Windows 8, but the reader won't read anything.

The freefall sensor shows up with a bang in the device manager. "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)"

I haven't tried enabling Optimus yet since it had trouble in the RP. I'll wait for (non-beta) Windows 8 drivers to be released from Intel and NVIDIA before trying it.

3. Bokeh

Bokeh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Getting ready to install here too. Going to install from scratch and switch between W7 and W8 via F12 key at boot.

On your screen, anything under the layers of the panel would be a source manufacturer defect. If it were a scratch or mar on top of the surface, it would be more likely to be a Dell defect. Glad the new one was perfect.

4. nbr99

nbr99 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You did the right thing, asking for replacement. It's a dust particle sitting inside LCD screen and it will never go away. I've seen such things before...
    What was the screen part number and who was manufacturer?

5. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    For some reason, hwinfo64 is not showing me the screen manufacturer. The part number on my service call is VCV1F, though on my original order it shows 320-3734.

6. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Good to hear that. The mark was a defect cause by pressure to the screen it cannot be fixed, only replaced.
    No, that was a pressure point mark. I can tell from a mile away. But you are correct in that it will never go away.

Would someone like to offer any suggestion toward configurations?

1) I'd like to optimize for video editing but I'm sure of how distribute the programs and data to best accomplish this.

2) Are your configurations conventional (i.e. main drive +storage) or optimized for some other special task/duty?

3) How do you use your mSATA? Can I partition and use it as a scratch disc?

4) I'd like to upgrade to my own OD at a later time. How difficulty would that be if I ordered with the HDD at shipping?

7. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    1+2. I have a system drive (Windows+apps) and a data drive (files and stuff I'm working on, media library, etc.). I find that having a fast system drive for the OS and apps is more important than having a fast data drive. I don't do video editing though, but I imagine that you could still get away with a traditional "platter" hard drive for this. You'd want a SSD for the system drive and apps if possible. It will make a world of difference.

3. I'm using my mSATA drive as a cache drive with Intel SRT (until I can justify spending the money on a larger SSD to use as the system drive). Though, the mSATA port behaves like a regular SATA port, you can do whatever you want with the drive that is attached. Boot from it, or set it up as a separate data drive with its own drive letter.

4. Not completely sure what you're asking here. The optical drive is easy to swap out, though. It's a standard 9.5mm "ultra-slim" drive bay. I ordered my own optical drive, and removed the bracket from the back of the drive that came in the system and attached it to the one that I got, and it fits in fine.

8. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You basically answered my question. I was wondering if you selected "no drive" would it come with the necessary brackets/connectors to make the upgrade or was this something I needed to purchase separately? For example, HP's 2nd HDD bay required you to purchase the HDD caddy and connector separately. Thanks

9. DGDXGDG

DGDXGDG Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    hello m6700 owners, can you check m6700's two cooling fan? whats their model? dp/n? is it 0.5v?
    thanks!

10. zyrtec

zyrtec Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi!
    Got my M6700(m6000) three days ago but have been away from home so have not yet opened the box! ;) I ordered it the 9.aug and got it 15.aug. Super-fast delivery! I live in Norway.

Do you think I should make a "silly" unbox video, or just rip up the box now and post some benchmarks? :)