The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M6700 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Bokeh, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Dirtnap

Dirtnap Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't know, but when you get it could you make a unboxing video, and post it here?

2. Dirtnap

Reputations:
    Why isn't there a 3 year completecare accidental damage protection option?

3. Athar

Athar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Available, if you call them ;)

4. Bokeh

Bokeh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Planning to install Windows 8 when it is released on Technet and MSDN August 15th. I have a couple of questions for the people that have been running the preview or RTM.

Are running a dual boot system? If so, are you running it on the same drive?

What hardware still has no driver?

How is the Nvidia driver support?

Are you noticing any issues with software? Earlier with the Consumer Preview I saw several software compatibility issues, so I decided to wait on running it.

Has the color management changed?

Are there any real compelling reasons to run Windows 8 over Windows 7 in a non-touch panel environment?

5. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm not dual-booting... Well, I'm making use of the pop-out hard drive tray, I have one hard drive with Win7 and one with Win8. I'm planning on switching to Win8 full-time after RTM becomes available on the 15th, unless there are compatibility issues that keep me from getting work done.

In the release preview, all hardware works except the fingerprint reader and freefall sensor. The fingerprint reader will install but you cannot enroll fingerprints (error message). The freefall sensor driver will not install. You can force the installer to be happy with compatibility mode but the driver will still not load. Optimus is not functional either.

I haven't had any issues with the NVIDIA driver since I turned Optimus off. I'm using the Windows 7 driver from Dell. (Doesn't look like NVIDIA has published K5000M drivers on their site yet.)

I haven't done an exhaustive check yet but I haven't had any software compatibility issues.

Don't know about color management (not something I mess with).

Windows 8 has some nifty new features (even aside from the touch UI) but nothing screams to me upgrade. I think Windows 7 would be fine for a while yet (especially since it looks like businesses are going to sit on it for a while, like XP).

[Edit]
    Unrelated to the above.
    No trouble getting two external displays working along with the internal on the NVIDIA card (Optimus off at the moment), with DisplayPort and HDMI. The HDMI port seems pretty tight, though, or maybe it's just my cable — I had to really push on it to get it to snap in.

6. RustyShack

RustyShack Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Quick question for you guys. I will be doing some CAD work this coming spring semester so I plan on picking something up from the outlet store. My question is would it be worth it to wait until the 6700s start popping up there or is the difference between the models negligible enough that I should just pounce on a 6600 when the next round of coupons come. Keep in mind waiting until November/December won't be a problem.

Thanks!

7. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    OK, well, problem.

Today is my first day putting heavy use on my Precision. I noticed an odd spot on the LCD screen. Now that I've seen it, it's very distracting, but I'm not sure how long it was there before I noticed it.

I haven't done anything bad with the system, it's just been sitting on my desk most of the time since I got it. :p

Anyway, it doesn't look like a dead pixel. It looks like there is a spot of something on the screen, but I can't clean it off. When I try to clean it, it seems like it is under the top layer of the screen.

I'll try and snap a pic later but I searched and found someone else complaining about something similar. This looks like what I am seeing. Just one spot.

[Solved] Strange Spots on Laptop LCD Screen - Other-Peripherals - Computer-Peripherals

Any ideas before I contact Dell to have the panel replaced?

[Edit] - Pics. Harder to see than I thought. Going to call in the morning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Dirtnap

Reputations:
    If any of you guy receive 15% or more off your m6700, could you pm me contact info of the sales agent you used.

9. SecretAsianMan

SecretAsianMan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Couple of questions after playing with the online customizer:

1. Do I want vPro? I don't need remote management, but I do run VMs in VMware Workstation. The marketing blurbs says vPro contains "Intel Virtualization Technology, including Intel VT for memory, CPU, and Directed I/O, to support virtualized environments." That sounds like what I used to know as VT-x and VT-d. It's so confusing, and Google just finds conflicting answers.

2. ProSupport vs. regular NBD onsite? In another thread, I read that ProSupport is for non-hardware issues, but also gets you a North American call center. I also read the ProSupport reps are easier to work with for hardware repairs.

10. ejl1980

ejl1980 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I actually use the online chat feature instead of calling in. Much easier, fewer language issues, and you get a printed log of what the rep promises you. I had a Vostro with USB and fingerprint reader issues a few months back. Talked to the rep on the chat. Explained I already tried driver reinstall, etc. He didn't ask anymore questions, just went straight to a tech coming out. Much easier than calling.