The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M6600 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by tomcom2k, May 23, 2011.

1. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Do you need Windows 11?

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You cannot upgrade M6600 TPM to 2.0. However... Microsoft published requirements indicating that TPM 2.0 is the "soft floor" while TPM 1.2 is the "hard floor" so the system should work with TPM 1.2. (They have since retracted this document.) Actually, it will probably work fine with no TPM at all. The CPU requirement would be more of a concern, since they want everyone on Intel 8th-gen and up CPUs, and M6600 has 2nd-gen.

Currently with the preview version, the TPM requirement is easily bypassed with a registry setting, and there is no CPU requirement.

These are artificial limitations. Microsoft is waiving both CPU and TPM requirements for deployments in a VM, so clearly these are not needed for operation of Windows 11, they just meet the baseline for Microsoft's preferred security specification. (I have the preview version running in VMware on my M6700/3rd-gen system.)

What I think is going to happen —
    After Windows 11 is released, we will see many installations working fine on "unsupported" hardware. Microsoft won't offer Windows 11 to these systems through Windows Update, but users who want to download install media on their own and maybe perform some simple workarounds to bypass the installer's compatibility checks will be able to upgrade without issue.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
  3. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Windows 10 will be supported until 2025 from what I heard

4. CLASSIF1ED

CLASSIF1ED Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just bought a M6600 with a dead GPU as it was cheap, question: can I use the IPS screen with a FirePro M6100 or a K4000M?

That, and will the Quadro 4000M heatsink fit the K4000M?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  5. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    No. IPS screen will only work with NVIDIA GPUs in this model. K4000M will not work; BIOS issues prevent upgrade to anything newer than a Fermi NVIDIA GPU. (AMD has more room for upgrades, but, can't use it with the eDP port.)

6. CLASSIF1ED

Reputations:
    Shlt. Good thing I haven't bought another GPU yet. I did find another M6600 with a broken mobo but working 4000M though, so I guess i'll go for that.

piss off with your edit

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
  7. CLASSIF1ED

Reputations:
    How badly will I regret getting a Quadro 5010M off Aliexpress? I bought one.

Also, what size thermal pads does the M6600 use? Thinking of replacing the pads as they were improperly installed from the factory and so damaged.

8. CLASSIF1ED

Reputations:
    Question for @TheQuentincc: do you happen to know any fun UEFI vars for the M6600?

9. Tablichka1

Tablichka1 Newbie

Reputations:
    good day

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  10. Tablichka1

Tablichka1 Newbie

Reputations:
    good day
    tell me who installed quadro k5100m on a laptop
    Support is officially available on the Dell website.
    https://www.dell.com/support/home/r...g/0-dkFGNkhNaitidDlJVEFPNThBcXNEUT090/drivers
    NVIDIA® graphics driver for the following models: Quadro 1/2/3/4000, Quadro 5010M, Quadro K1 / 2/3/4 / 5000M, Quadro K11 / 21/31/41 / 5100M, NVS 4 / 5200M, and GeForce GT 720M

Tell me which version of the BIOS on the laptop?
    The card is identified in the BIOS.?
    Does the map show up in laptop diagnostics?
    tell me what will be better for the laptop?
    I know that there is support for amd 8970m (correspondence from the store, a person bought and checked for performance
    Tell me what version of bios on a laptop?
    The card was identified in the BIOS.?
    Does the map appear in laptop diagnostics?
    September 27, 2021
    1. BIOS version A.18. 2. The map was visible. as a 4 GB device. 3. After installing the driver, it was determined. The seller will tell you in detail about the installation of this video card. and the most important thing . if nessesary. help.)